Third party advertising in your stores, is it a good strategy?

Tourist
24 0 2

Hi,

This is not a "how-to" question. It's more about the strategy of adding a third party advertising network to your stores.

I've always been doing content and affiliate marketing, and adding Adsense or other network to my sites was a must.

But now, I have my own store and at first sight adding a third party network isn't logical at all.

Nevertheless, I recall some time ago that Adsense paid much better on commercial sites than on content sites.

Did anybody try adding advertising to their stores? What's your experience or opinion on this matter?

Thanks!

Enrique

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
931 96 157

Hey @Enrique1!

Cal here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm always sceptical about affiliate marketing or advertising in general on a store. Why provide your customers with any opportunity to click away from your site because of targeted marketing that you're hosting on your store?

Is your store for selling products or hosting advertising?

From what I've heard, the monetary rewards will be significantly less than the sales/conversions you might lose as a result of customers clicking away.

If you are marketing yourself and running marketing campaigns, then your affiliates are getting the benefit of your work with no guarantee of that being reciprocated.

In general, I advise against this sort of approach on any store.

I hope this helps!

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
24 0 2

Thanks Cal,

I totally agree. But I was asking just in case my assumptions were wrong. You never know what you are missing until somebody hits you with their own experience and proves you wrong.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 0 0

Let us say that you still want to add this to monetize your site. Is Shopify allowing this of merchants? What is allowed in Shopify? I have been earning zero dollars in Shopify and would like to try this option. If Shopify doesn't allow this function, why not? Other sites have that ability and I feel that money is being left at the table by not being able to use this option. 

0 Likes