Third-party payment gateway and hardware for Shopify POS

julien_maurel
Tourist
4 0 1

Hello @Ash , I hope you are doing well! I have a similar question. I am on the basic plan for now and I have an online shop and a brick & Mortar shop too. I am based in Mauritius so I have to use a third party payment gateway to get paid in my account. I would like to use the Shopify POS both for my online and B&M store sales management and invoicing etc. I will use my own hardware that won't be connected to the shopify POS (just a simple credit card machine).

My Questions are:

- Can I process my sales in my B&M store on the POS if I use a third party harware that is not connected to the POS?

- Are there any fees to process a sale on the POS from my B&M store with a third party payment system? 

Thanks a lot, 

Julien. 

0 Likes
Ash
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
685 68 90

Hey, @julien_maurel!

Thank you for reaching out in the Shopify Community with your questions. I'm happy to help clear these queries up for you. The first point I want to make is that when selling online, the Shopify POS wouldn't be involved. Shopify POS is our solution for in person sales, and while Shopify POS connects to your Shopify account, online sales would go directly through the online store.

You're correct that Shopify Payments is not currently available in Mauritius, but we do have a list of the available third-party payment providers you can use on Shopify from that location. Regarding your POS questions, here is some additional information to help answer those: 

• If you're planning on making sales via Shopify POS with a third-party payment gateway and third-party hardware, it's important to note that the actual payment is processed by your terminal provider, not Shopify. You'll be able to create the order and mark the order as paid in Shopify POS for record keeping and administrative purposes, but the payment will be fully managed by your third-party provider. Our Help Center has some more information on accepting payments on Shopify POS with an external card reader
  • Since the payment is processed through the third-party provider and terminal, Shopify wouldn't charge any fees on those payments. With that said, I encourage you to follow up with your payment provider, as they will likely charge some sort of fee and they will be able to provide more context on that.
  • Also important to note, the above point is only regarding Shopify POS, since the payment is not going through the Shopify checkout. For sales through the Online Store, if you process them via a third-party payment gateway through the Shopify checkout, you will be charged the transaction fee associated with your selected plan from our pricing page (this is 2% for the Shopify Basic plan). 

I hope this helps clear up your questions, and feel free to reply back to this post if you need any more information! 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
julien_maurel
Tourist
4 0 1

Hell Ash thanks for your help! 

Kind regards,

Julien.