Solved

Tips to reduce cart abandonment rate

JessiH
14 0 0

Hi guys! Are there any ways to reduce the cart abandonment rate? I'm considering adding some more customer feedback, is it a good way to go? Many thanks!

banned
Accepted Solutions (2)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2226 203 593

This is an accepted solution.

@JessiH I've experimented a lot with this to improve conversion rates over the years, I shared 20 proven ways that I've personally used to increase rates for me and my clients: https://speedboostr.com/conversion-rate-optimization-guide.

My top 3 favorites:

1) Set up automated email marketing and 2 stage abandoned cart emails (first email says "Can we help you with anything?..." 2nd one offers a discount code "How about 15% off?"). Here's a guide I wrote about my experience setting up and using Klaviyo, my favorite automated email marketing software: https://speedboostr.com/automated-email-marketing-with-klaviyo. I also include actual stats from the result of my case study.

2) Add a free shipping qualifier, for example Free Shipping on orders $50+. Free shipping is a big one... also another good strategy to use in abandoned cart emails, offer free shipping. Guarantee you will recover some of those abandoned carts.

3) Retargeting. This is the highest ROI advertising for paid ads in my experience. The idea is that you use Facebook, Instagram, or Google (or all of them) and have a tracking pixel on your site that tracks the products visitors visit. Then when they leave their site, you serve up an ad of that product to them. You've probably noticed this yourself as a shopper on other sites. This type of advertising works great because people aren't always in the mood to buy the first time they visit your site, and may forget about you... but then that retargeted ad brings them back and you can get a good conversion rate on these return visits (usually 5%+).

Good luck on improving your conversion rates.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks

View solution in original post

LiamJohnson
Tourist
11 1 0

Hey @JessiH ,

It's a great question. Cart abandonment is a common problem in the eCommerce space. 

I've dealt with many clients coming back with huge drop off rates on their site. I and my peers at ConvertCart have experimented numerous tactics and found these to work the best:

• Make exit intent pop-ups irresistible: Add a timed discount, a flat 40% off or just a compelling copy
  • Keep talking to customers through the buying process: Implement chat apps to keep customers engaged 
  • Be clear about all costs upfront: Ditch the "Flat 50 but taxes bring up the cost"
  • Make your refund and return policy super prominent
  • Get rid of the tedious form-filling

These 5 are great to start with but to truly bring down customer abandonment, It takes a bit more. I've documented all the strategies that've worked for our clients here - https://bit.ly/3yVnQCI

Have a read of it and let me know what worked bets for you, I'd love to hear it. 

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

DigitalArtisans
Shopify Partner
378 58 88

Hello @JessiH !

Here are a few tips you can follow to reduce the abandonment cart rate:

1. Target cart abandoners with remarketing
  2. Reduce your page load times
  3. Identify leaks in your conversion funnels
  4. Be clear about shipping costs upfront
  5. Offer a money-back guarantee

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Digital Artisans

Hatim Ayoub | Designer | Developer
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2226 203 593

@JessiH I've experimented a lot with this to improve conversion rates over the years, I shared 20 proven ways that I've personally used to increase rates for me and my clients: https://speedboostr.com/conversion-rate-optimization-guide.

My top 3 favorites:

1) Set up automated email marketing and 2 stage abandoned cart emails (first email says "Can we help you with anything?..." 2nd one offers a discount code "How about 15% off?"). Here's a guide I wrote about my experience setting up and using Klaviyo, my favorite automated email marketing software: https://speedboostr.com/automated-email-marketing-with-klaviyo. I also include actual stats from the result of my case study.

2) Add a free shipping qualifier, for example Free Shipping on orders $50+. Free shipping is a big one... also another good strategy to use in abandoned cart emails, offer free shipping. Guarantee you will recover some of those abandoned carts.

3) Retargeting. This is the highest ROI advertising for paid ads in my experience. The idea is that you use Facebook, Instagram, or Google (or all of them) and have a tracking pixel on your site that tracks the products visitors visit. Then when they leave their site, you serve up an ad of that product to them. You've probably noticed this yourself as a shopper on other sites. This type of advertising works great because people aren't always in the mood to buy the first time they visit your site, and may forget about you... but then that retargeted ad brings them back and you can get a good conversion rate on these return visits (usually 5%+).

Good luck on improving your conversion rates.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks

JrRoberta
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi @JessiH, thank you for asking. 

There're 2 ways that I usually applied for my store when it comes to cart abandonment:

1. Automated email marketing: I believe that when people added something to their cart, it means they actually want to buy it. Sending an email at this point will help you trigger them at the right time with the right message. To make the purchasing process even stronger, you can offer some discounts or free shipping so that your customers can quickly make the decision
  2. Exit-intent pop-ups: An exit-intent popup will display your campaign when a user is actively leaving your checkout page. This means you can capture your user’s attention at the exact moment they plan to abandon their carts. Plus, you can give incentives to your customers.

Also, although I haven't used this method, remarketing is also a good way to improve cart abandonment. 

If you're finding a way to leverage the 2 ways that I mentioned above, you can try ManySales for free.

Roberta I Going down to be brave, Going up to be strong

LiamJohnson
Tourist
11 1 0

Hey @JessiH ,

It's a great question. Cart abandonment is a common problem in the eCommerce space. 

I've dealt with many clients coming back with huge drop off rates on their site. I and my peers at ConvertCart have experimented numerous tactics and found these to work the best:

• Make exit intent pop-ups irresistible: Add a timed discount, a flat 40% off or just a compelling copy
  • Keep talking to customers through the buying process: Implement chat apps to keep customers engaged 
  • Be clear about all costs upfront: Ditch the "Flat 50 but taxes bring up the cost"
  • Make your refund and return policy super prominent
  • Get rid of the tedious form-filling

These 5 are great to start with but to truly bring down customer abandonment, It takes a bit more. I've documented all the strategies that've worked for our clients here - https://bit.ly/3yVnQCI

Have a read of it and let me know what worked bets for you, I'd love to hear it. 

VitaF
Shopify Partner
159 2 28

Cart abandonment is an issue for every e-commerce merchant. According to Baymard , the average documented cart abandonment rate is as high 69.8%. Luckily, there are a few things that can be done in order to improve shopping cart conversions

1. Improve website loading time, this way customers don't have too much time to start wondering if they really want to proceed with the purchase or not.
  2. Skip the required registration and offer an option to complete the purchase with a "guest account" if customer wishes to do so
  3. Use autofill to help customers fill in their shipping form and save time
  4. Include reviews to build trust and don't be afraid of having negative reviews as this is a learning point as well an option to really show that people are evaluating your products
  5. Create urgency by sending out updates about how much stock is available, offering limited-time deals, or promoting one-off products.
  6. Offer free shipping as the most common reason for cart abandonment is high shipping costs. Surprisingly, it makes no difference whether the free shipping translates into a higher total price. Its said that free delivery deal that saves $6.99 is more tempting to many shoppers than a $10 discount.
  7. Offer multiple payment options and make sure some most popular options such as PayPal is included.
Helpcenterapp

atroya
Tourist
35 0 1

Hi @JessiH 

There're many ways to reduce cart abandonment. Next time I'd suggest linking your store or an example for further details and clarification. For example, one way to reduce customer abandonment is providing seamless and multiple shipping options, as well as delivery in a fast time frame. I'd recommend checking out the link below that goes over creating a better shipping experience for both eCommerce businesses and their consumers.

https://fenixcommerce.com/create-your-own-amazon-delivery-experience/

Best of luck!

Williampat369
Explorer
112 2 5

Hi JessiH,

5 Ways to Reduce Cart Abandonment in Your Shopify Store
  1. Simplifying your checkout process.
  2. Offering incentives for creating an account.
  3. Communicating with customers who abandon carts.
  4. Giving shoppers a variety of payment options.
  5. Providing free shipping.

You can also use third party app where you can optimize the cart page by offering discount codes etc...

Here are the few app's which helps to reduce the cart abandonment issues.

1. KartDiscount App

2. Discount Reminder App

3. Automatic Discount & Gift App

banned