Tracking serial numbers of bulk products

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
30 0 4

Hi, we sell mostly used computers on our Shopify website and in our retail location in NYC using the Shopify POS app. Most of what we sell are one-off items, so we generally do not have this problem, but we're looking into selling more products with greater quantities. Basically, we want an easy way to track which computer went out with which order, ideally by the serial number. We were looking into setting up multiple variants for each product, where the only difference is the serial number option. The reason this doesn't seem like it'd work is because in the Shopify POS app when we search by the serial number it still just brings up that product, not the specific variant, so the person making the sale will have to look through the entire list of serial numbers to find the right one, which isn't viable. What I'd like to happen is that when we scan the serial number into the POS app it only shows the variant with that serial number, not the list of all of them. Another idea I had is to scan the serial number into the order as a note, the reason this isn't going to work for is us because in the Shopify POS app we can only add notes to an order after it's been created and paid for, it's not really viable to go back into the order after it's been created just to add the note. If anyone has any suggestions or know of third-party apps that can help with this I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
470 10 103

Hey Adam,

Aria here, I'm a Social Care guru at Shopify. :)

From what you've described, I think the easiest way to manage this would be to use variants and you only have one of each. I figure it would look something like this: 

The serial number is the variant option value and each option value has it's very own barcode number so as soon as you scan it, you know which serial number was sold and it appears in the order details. 

In some cases, you may only have one computer of a particular model to sell but you'd still be able to use this method, add in the variant option and put the one serial number as the only option value. 

If you have other variant options already, it's not a problem. You would just set them up at the same time so Serial Number would be one variant option and you can add a second variant option for RAM or whatever else you need:

You can find more information on creating variants in this guide.

I hope that works for you. :)

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
660 0 102

Hi Adam,

You may be interetsed in our app Better Reports.

It is fully integrated with Shopify POS and can search orders based on any field, such as SKU, barcode, etc...

Feel free to email me at clement@betterreports.co to discuss further.

Clement

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
30 0 4

Hi Aria, thanks for the reply. From what I could find it looks like only the Retail Package supports using barcodes scanners and I had a couple questions about how this works before we decide to purchase the Retail Package. Right now we use these 2D Bluetooth barcode scanners that we bought off Amazon and scan our SKU barcodes into the search box. If we get the Retail Package, will the be a better interface for scanning barcodes that will allow us to just scan the SKU and automatically add that product to the cart? Also, if we scan the barcode value of an individual variant, will it add that individual product variant to the cart, and not just show the entire product with all the variant options as it does now. Also, do we need to use the first party barcode scanners that are sold by Shopify or can we continue to use our own?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
470 10 103

Hey Adam,

Aria again. :)

Yes, you do need the retail package if you wish to use hardware such as a barcode scanner. The only hardware that works with the regular POS package is the card readers. 

You can find the list of compatible hardware here. As long as the barcode scanner you have is on the compatible list, you should be fine. 

You can find more information on the Retail package and what it includes in this guide.

When you scan the barcode, it will be linked to the individual variant, rather than the whole product, as long as you have individual barcode numbers for each variant. It will also add the product straight to the cart when you scan it. 

We are always available for support if you have more questions. :)

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes