Traffic but no sales

Tourist
6 0 1

Hey everyone. My store "Midtown Morning" has been getting moderate traffic (maybe 70 sessions a day when I use facebook ads), but I have not gotten any sales yet. I normally do facebooks ads with a 5 dollar a day daily budget for about three days. Does anyone know what would give me sales? I was thinking it could be that I don't have enough traffic to begin with to get sales. Is there a certain level of traffic I need before people start buying things on my site? Do I need to put more money into facebook ads to get better results/ traffic that turns into sales? My store is about 1 month old. 

Here is my store's url: https://midtown-morning.com/

Thank you all for the help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
211 22 36

Hi, @Justen2!

Your store looks great so far, and I can see that you've already implemented some of Aria's feedback like adding a logo and an easy option for customers to chat with you. The logo looks awesome, and I agree with some of the other feedback you've received so far that the images give a clear idea of what your store is all about.

I typically look for around 1000 unique visitors coming to the store each month before I look into the rest of the data under Analytics > Dashboards. This information can be really helpful in determining whether ads or other marketing efforts need to be tweaked in order to start seeing or increasing sales. It sounds like you've got a decent amount of traffic coming through so far, so I'd like to address a few things you can do to improve the customer experience on your website.

I noticed that a couple people suggested adding an FAQ section to the store, and I agree. Although it's good that you've added tailored your policy pages in the footer, some customers will want quick and easily accessible answers instead of reading through a full policy page, which is exactly what an FAQ page can offer. You can create a simple FAQ page under Online Store > Pages, or you can use one of the FAQ apps to create something a little more advanced.

A shipping policy is another big item that customers look for. If customers don't know whether your store ships to their region or how long it may take, they could leave without making a purchase, so it can be helpful to provide this information before the checkout page. You can generate a shipping policy under Settings > Legal, and you can also add an abbreviated version of that information to the FAQ page if you choose to add one.

The featured product on the home page looks great, but I did expect to see more content there. In addition to the featured product section, what do you think about adding a Featured collection section to show off the sunglasses, or an Image with text section to talk a bit about your brand? I think it's important to keep the featured product near the top, but adding a couple other items might help to engage visitors and keep them on the website longer.

I recommend adding an image to your About Us page as well. If you don't have any images in mind that will help tell the story of your brand, you might find something from Burst, the free stock photography library.

Lastly, I found that all but one of your products are listed as being on sale right now, though I don't see any sale advertised on your home page or on your Facebook or Instagram pages. Are you planning to do any marketing to promote your products being on sale? Have you been testing any methods outside of Facebook ads so far?

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes

Hi Justen! Maggie, Shopify Expert here :)

Sorry to hear about low traffic - the beginnings are always slow. Consider integrating your store with Google Analytics - it will give you great info as to where your traffic is coming from, and which sources send you the best converting traffic. You could then measure if it's the Facebook ads that convert the best, or perhaps another source, like Google organic traffic or Instagram posts. Google Analytics is worth monitoring, as it will allow you to focus your time and marketing budgets only on the platforms that convert best [remember 80/20 rule - 20% of your efforts generate 80% of the results].

If you don't want to rely on Facebook ads all the time, make sure to work on your SEO [search engine optimization] - optimize your website for the target keywords to help you rank in the most relevant searches. Google sends free traffic, and it converts the best on average. Consider investing in SEO Monitor - that's a great SEO monthly package perfect for new online stores like yours. 

Make sure to collect email addresses on your website too - build your email list and send regular newsletters. That's also a great way to boost sales and bring regular revenue, as email marketing, along with Google traffic, is one of the best-converting traffic sources. 

Looking for a more detailed critique? Reserve your FREE website audit here: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/audit/

Best regards,

Maggie

Shopify Expert | Ecommerce SEO Wizard

Rock Paper Copy  

maggie@rockpapercopy.info

✅ Get FREE website audit | Click here: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/audit/

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

Thank you for the feedback, Sophia! I am going to look into implementing some of these suggestions. I'm actually trying to figure out how to remove the "on sale" prices in my store. I've run some facebook ads to promote certain products, but the "on sale" function kind of came with the shopify template I chose and I haven't figured out how to remove it just yet or play with it so I can have select items on sale when I want to and others at normal. I've only tested facebook ads so far, and I am currently trying to figure out how to use google ads (I'm watching youtube videos about it). I am still not really getting a whole lot of sales though through facebook ads. I am not sure If I am doing something wrong or I just need to pour more money into the ads or something. Not sure. 

0 Likes

Hey Justin...

This might not be the right avenue for this but if you don't mind me asking, what Facebook campaign are you setting right now?

Website visits or Conversions?

Working on...
1. Product Lens (Product Marketing app)
2. Strategy + Tactics: Product Marketing Blog
3. Want store feedback? Try this free tool (You gotta give to receive)
4. 60-day SEO email course
5. FB Marketing 102 email newsletter
6. Waking up early and Stuff ~
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
211 22 36

No problem, @Justen2! I'm happy to help.

The "on sale" prices are a result of the Compare at price feature. If you're importing products from an app, there can often be a sale price listed already. In the Oberlo app, for example, the Variants tab on your Import List includes columns for the Price and Compared at Price, which can be set in Oberlo before importing, or in Shopify after importing. In your Shopify admin, you can edit or remove the Compare at price either on each individual product or by using the Bulk editor.

For your Facebook ads, it could be that some of the settings need tweaking, or it could be simply a matter of giving it some more time while you build up an audience for your store. What kind of Facebook ads have you created so far? What audience are you targeting with those ads?

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

Thank you for clearing up the "on sale" question @Sophia . 

I've created facebook ads through the shopify marketing tab in my shopify admin page. They've been either 4 or 5 products with an age range of 18-65, or (this one has gotten me sales and better traffic) I've created a facebook ad through the built in shopify marketing tab that markets only one product that is targeted towards only women, has an age range of 25-65, with "shopping and fashion" as the interest. I usually run the ads for  a 10$ a day daily budget for 3 days. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
211 22 36

Thanks for sharing those details, @Justen2

I don't think you necessarily need to increase your ad budget just yet, though if you have the funds available, you could definitely experiment with increasing the budget for the ad that has been bringing in traffic so far. The 18-65 age range is quite broad. Are the 4-5 products in that ad all in one category? Does this ad have any target interests?

I recommend checking out the free courses on Facebook ads in the Shopify Academy

These courses will walk you through how to build an audience and create successful ads, and they may give you some helpful tips about tweaking your ads before you begin to increase your ad spend.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

Ah I see. I may end up increasing the budget on the ad that has been bringing in good traffic to see what happens @Sophia . The 4-5 products have usually been all in one category and the target interests have been "shopping and fashion". Thank you for the resources! 

1 Like