Transaction Credits on Refunds Fees - After March 1, 2020, Shopify will no longer return this fee?!

Highlighted
Explorer
52 0 18
They sent out an email today saying they’re… "committing over 200 million dollars to help our merchants this year.”’

I don’t know what that means. But yeah, they can keep the 200 million and just remove this fee thing. I’d be fine with that. If Stripe (the guys doing Shopify Payments) are the ones forcing this, then they should threaten to leave them and get somebody else. I mean, this is Shopify… They’re huge. Throw some weight around.
2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 11

So from my initial post I was given the canned line from Shopify support, I then cited the exact places in Shopify's TOS for payments where it directly contradicted their "interpretation" where it refers directly to net fees, indicating that fees are returned from customer returns, and I addressed the section they quoted as justification. That section only addresses fee forfeiture in relation to bank or customer initiated chargebacks, and does not refer to returns. They are in fact violating their own TOS by doing this. 

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 4

I went a little post happy on social media about this issue and have been contacted by Shopify support. They are listening to me, but dragging me around without actually saying anything. I was asked to submit a formal support ticket and told "I do not have more information at this point, but if you send me the ticket number I will be able to follow up with you by email once I know more."

I'll post here when I find out more! IF!

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

I just had my instance of this.  Contacted them and got the same results.  I am one more person trying to help the cause at least.  I told them how we try to prevent theft by refunding fraudulent orders, just to turn around and be robbed by Shopify.  I suggested a flat fee would be more fair. 

They suggested switching to manual payment capture, I did that for now.  Does anyone know of any precautions I should take while using the "manual" setting?  or is it just as easy as I stay on top and accept payment promptly?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 6
I was told that even if I haven't "captured" the order (if it's just
authorized) I still will be charged the fee if I cancel the order.
If this information I was given was incorrect, that would be a good thing
because then we could simply manually capture the orders before shipping.

I had one customer keep ordering over and over again because I kept
cancelling his order! Ugh
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

So, now we have conflicting information. 

Has anyone experienced issuing a refund before payment capture?  Was there a fee or not?

Wow, that is awful.  If I experience this instance I will update on here and let you know.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 3
There is no way you would be charged a refund fee before capturing. And if
that were somehow the case, i'd just take non-captured orders and let them
sit in limbo forever.
1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 6
Good point.
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi, may I ask whether you're using Shopify payments? I operate out of India where Shopify Payments is not applicable and I didn't get this email. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Problem with this (that they might not have warned you on) is you now pay an additional 2% to Shopify for every single transaction on top of whatever Authorize charges. They tax you no matter what you do now.

I hate to say it but this won't be the first "subtle" step in this direction. Little-by-little

0 Likes