Transaction Credits on Refunds Fees - After March 1, 2020, Shopify will no longer return this fee?!

happyerica
Tourist
4 0 0

yes, it is not fair and reasonable policy. 

0 Likes
lintriago
Excursionist
13 0 4

Significant tax breaks for whom??  Unless you're a billionaire or corporation, you got screwed by Paul Ryan's tax plan. 

Sigh... Unbelievable how anybody in their right mind can support this buffoon who is responsible for the raging pandemic....  

bigmonster
2 0 1

Shopify isn't doing anything illegal, they're simply pocketing the money by offering a Bundled Pricing Structure (shopify payments) vs Pass-Through Pricing

https://www.cardfellow.com/blog/credit-card-refund-fees/

Shopify simply knows some small business owners will educate themselves and try to use a 3rd party processor, which is why they charge a .5%-2% fee when you go outside shopify payments. Ultimately, they're going to make money either way, it comes down to what makes sense for the small business owner: stay on Shopify and chalk it up as a cost of doing business, or switch to a platform like BigCommerce that allows you to use your own 3rd party processor and charges you nothing for this. 

Most of us don't spend the 30min-1hr to educate ourselves and simply hand money over to these SAS giants.

I found a great deal of help on cardfellow.com. Very transparent information about the whole Processing industry. 

https://www.cardfellow.com/blog/credit-card-processing-guide/

0 Likes
tangstamps
4 0 0

Paypal has already started doing the same thing. Very annoying and unfair.

0 Likes
gunner
1 0 0

Does anyone know if you switch to a different payment processor (not shopify payments), does this fix the problem?

0 Likes
Blueibear
Tourist
6 0 1
It would depend on each individual providers policies. The only problem with not using Shopify Payments, is that Shopify then slaps a 2% fee on each transaction for not using them.
bigmonster
2 0 1

@gunner it does fix the issue of refunds, but when you use a 3rd party mechant processor, shopify charges a % from .5-2.5% depending on your plan...and you won't get that back in the case of a refund.

Ben1992
Tourist
6 0 1

The head honchos at shopify are greedy and evil, plain and simple. 

0 Likes
sumiruna
1 0 2

Shows the true nature of the decision-makers in Shopify...  a total lack of care and consideration for the difficult times most are experiencing.

Many businesses are struggling due to COVID, whereas Shopify is making a killing due to being an online provider.

Shopify has just completely lost my respect and demonstrated to all their loyal customers that they are just another bunch of disgusting and greedy *****s

JoeTopping
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi, I've just received this email this week and I came online to see if anyone else had received it - but I saw your post was from a year ago. Did you ever resolve this?

0 Likes