Transaction ids in analytics ecommerce conversions

2 0 0

Hello,

Shopify tracks ecommerce conversions automatically in analytics upon setting Universal Analytics in shopify admin and having "Enable Ecommerce" checked in analytics.

Transaction Id in google analytics ecommerce conversions is "Order Number" from shopify which can be seen in shopify admin -> orders. These transaction ids are prepended by "#" for eg. "#123456" 

From last few days (after 07-Mar-2017) we can see checkout id's been tracked in analytics ecommerce conversions instead of order number. for e.g. "14379526045"

What are the scenarios where checkout id's get tracked instead of order number in analytics ecommerce conversions. We can see same issue for all of our shopify clients..

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
7 0 0

Hey there Anil,

I've spoken to our escalated support team, as well as Google support about this issue. I was able to observe the two different Transaction IDs in previous results from my test store, so it's certainly not limited to your sites, but my new test sales weren't able to force Analytics to display the checkout ID number - they display only as the Order number.

Google support suggested it may be an issue with the way Enhanced Ecommerce interacts with Google Analytics, but that they don't support Enhanced Ecommerce at this time. Their suggestion was to disable EE and observe how the data changes to see if this makes a difference. My recommendation is to do this, and then reach out to support@shopify.com with the results so that we can do some more specific troubleshooting.

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions please feel free to email, call, or chat us up - the Guru team is here 24/7 to help you out!

Have a super day!

Alan | Shopify Guru

0 Likes

This is a Shopify bug that happens for all stores and needs to be corrected. It probably occurs to 1 out of every 10 orders. Another known problem: The loss of cookie information when users go from checkout.shopify.com to the store is also something else that needs to be addressed as it causes traffic attribution (direct) / (none) and stat bloating. The breadcrumb links need to be populated with the _ga query string variable.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
2 0 0

Any updates about this?

0 Likes
Highlighted

I haven't seen this problem for sometime. What is happening for you?

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
2 0 0

The same thing, Google Analytics suddenly started pulling Checkout ID rather than Order ID, but only for some (apparently) random orders.

Anyway, I have a conversation open with the support team so I should get an answer in a couple of days.

0 Likes