Transactions by Line Item - Returns

ShoesOnSolano
Excursionist
34 0 5

Alright, I'm probably screaming into the wind here because there are already several posts on this, none of whom have answers on them.  I am integrating the data from my Shopify e-commerce to my Vend POS into a third system that I can use to massage my data for insights.  Vend has a very nice line item system that allows me to see not only what was returned, but also the MSRP and tax values, dates, times, etc so I can really track the nitty gritty with this data.

Shopify does not do this.  If I want to know what was returned for a specific transaction I have to look up that transaction and manually note all of this information.  If multiple items (but not all items) have been returned from the same transaction and a discount was also involved I have no way to break things down at all.  I just kind of have to guess.

There really is no excuse not to have some form of line item system in place.  When a return occurs it is designated with an -R1 after the transaction number, so it is entirely possible to get this information as line item information.  Has anyone had any success getting this information, or know of an app that I can use that can pull this information out for me?

TIA

0 Likes
Report-Pundit
Excursionist
145 0 11

I'm John from Report Pundit

Report Pundit can report the detailed breakdown behind each refund - like discounts, taxes, shipping, product, and many other custom fields of your choice.

Report Pundit is cost-effective and also used by many Shopify Merchants to report or analyze accounting data and marketing analytics data.   

We have a 14-day free trial to test all the custom reports. Our live chat support team is available to create any custom report for free.

You can reach me at support@reportpundit.com

Thanks!! 
Report Pundit - Instant reports and custom dashboards
0 Likes
CloudlabSam
Explorer
73 3 4

Hi there - our free app - Report Toaster - can provide you this information - https://apps.shopify.com/report-toaster. Feel free to take a look and shoot me a note here or in the live chat if you have any questions. Thanks!

0 Likes
Ofer_BeProfit
Shopify Partner
52 0 3

Hi @ShoesOnSolano,

The BeProfit - Profit Tracker app is exactly what you're looking for. You'll get a dashboard that lets you track and analyze your profits and expenses including marketing costs, shipping, production, and more (you can manually enter expenses as well).

As your question specified, BeProfit also provides per-order and per-product breakdowns, and can certainly provide you with the line item breakdown example you provided (returning some but not all items from an order that had a discount applied).

You can use BeProfit to:

• Track your profit history over time
  • Get intuitive visuals and graphs
  • Understand complex business metrics
  • Connect metrics once with smart integrations
  • Spot what factors need improvement to increase profits
  • Make data-driven decisions to optimize your store

Try BeProfit and let us know if you find it helpful. Plus, if you have any suggestions on how we can improve the app, we're always happy to get feedback!

0 Likes
JanDispodyn
4 0 0

Not so sure that I have understood what you are after. In Shopify Sales Reports, all sales transactions are reported by line including all discounts and taxes by line (shipping being separate). When you have a return, it is similarly reported, but at the date of return and not of the initial transaction. However, as the order number is unique, you download the report into Excel list by oder number. This should give you a list of order lines including returns.

0 Likes
ShoesOnSolano
Excursionist
34 0 5

Hi @JanDispodyn,

The report that I was getting did not do a true line item of my sales and returns.  If a partial return occurred I had to manually go into the transaction and see when it was.  If there was multiple items in the return it wouldn't tell me which ones, nor would it account for things like discounts and taxes as separate information.  It would just give me a total amount refunded, which is not the same as line item for me.  If you know of a way to pull up this information without creating a custom report (which is only available for businesses using the Advanced Shopify plan) then I would love to hear it.

0 Likes
JanDispodyn
4 0 0

Hi @ShoesOnSolano,

Yes, you are right. The core issue with the Shopify return data is that it documents the buy and the return at the respective time of occurrence. I am not optimistic that this issue can be resolved easily. Why? Because when you read the transactions and returns via the API you encounter the same issue. The only way forward (I see) is to read the API and design a query that fits your analytics needs. We have such a system that works codeless and produces a CSV. Can you give an example of what you get via the reporting and what you need exactly from the reporting to understand the details?

0 Likes
baboori84
1 0 0

So positive that I have understood what you are after. In Shopify Sales Reports, all sales transactions are stated by line such as all reductions and taxes with the aid of line. visit the site help page to solve this issue.

0 Likes