Transfer domain name to Shopify from WIX

Solved
alvantoh
2 0 1

Hi! Previously my partner bought hosting and domain name through WIX but now I want the domain name to point to my  Shopify site (which I've almost completed building). Do I choose to connect domain name or transfer domain? Also, how long will it take for it to take effect? I plan to do the switch over one night, such that my customers will see the Shopify site instead of WIX on the next day.

Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
859 71 209

Hi, @alvantoh.

Julie here from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out. I'm happy to offer some insight here! 

First off, how long ago was the domain purchased? If your domain was purchased over 60 days ago, then you can transfer your domain to Shopify by heading to Online store > Domains > Connect existing domain > Transfer domain. When this is done, management of your domain moves to Shopify, meaning you adjust your domain settings, pay for your domain, and renew your domain directly in your Shopify admin. The transfer process can take up to Shopify from Wix can take up to 20 days, but generally this is much shorter. During this period, however, your domain should still be active and you shouldn't experience any downtime. 

If your domain was purchased less than 60 days ago, then you can instead choose to connect the domain to Shopify. Similar to the process for transferring your domain in, connecting it can be done by heading to Online store > Domains > Connect existing domain. You will also need to ensure that you edit your DNS settings in Wix so that your CNAME and A Record point to Shopify. Once this is done, it may take up to 48 hours for your custom domain to point to your Shopify store. That being said, in my experience, the connecting has typically been immediate. 

If you connect your domain to Shopify, it will still be hosted and managed by Wix, but it would simply point to your Shopify site. Keep in mind that you may still be responsible for paying for hosting with Wix, so this is something I recommend checking in with them on. 

When was your domain originally purchased? Do you still have access to your Wix account? 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

alvantoh
2 0 1

Thanks for your reply Julie. I've only been using Wix since late March. I just want to make sure that the migration of the domain name over to Shopify will not cause any downtime to the website. I'm planning to get the site ready in Shopify, and once ready I'll just connect the domain over. 

Is it also possible to connect the DNS first, and maybe eventually host it with Shopify once my Wix plan espires? But for now if just to connect DNS, I'll still have to pay for Shopify's plan correct?

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
859 71 209

This is an accepted solution.

No problem! 

You can connect your domain to Shopify at any time by editing your DNS settings in Wix so that they point to your Shopify store. This means that customers will no longer be able to access your Wix store using your URL and will instead see your Shopify store. When you do this, the connection should go through immediately, without any downtime. Whenever you're ready, you can then transfer it away from Wix and over to Shopify, where it can be managed through your Shopify admin.

While you don't need to be on a paid plan to connect your domain, you will need to be on a paid plan in order to remove your storefront password. Until you select a plan, customers will see an "Opening Soon" page when they try to visit your store. That being said, if you sign up for a monthly plan while you are still on your free trial, you won't be charged any subscription fees until your free trial expires.

I hope this clears things up! 

Stimulus
2 0 0

Hi Julie! We have successfully transferred our domain to Shopify but the website I'm seeing is still our old Wix website. How do I fix this?
Please help. Our website is

https://www.stimulusathletic.com

Thanks,

Stimulus Athletic

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
859 71 209

Hey, @Stimulus!

Thanks for joining in on the conversation and sharing your URL. 

If your domain is still directing traffic to your Wix website, then it sounds like your domain hasn't yet been disconnected from Wix. In this case, you'll just need to make sure that your domain is no longer associated with your Wix account. Wix has some help documentation on disconnecting your domain that you can refer to if necessary. Keep in mind that they may require you to prepare your domain for transfer before it can be successfully connected on our end. If you run into any troubles along the way, then you'll just need to reach out Wix directly for assistance.

On Shopify's end, you'll just need to make sure that you've followed our instructions on how to transfer your domain into Shopify. Since you mentioned you've already done this, are you able to share a screenshot of your domain settings in Shopify? This can be accessed in Online store > Domains. That would really help in determining if the right domain has been connected here on our end. 

Looking forward to your response!

0 Likes
Stimulus
2 0 0

Hi Julie! How can I email you directly? I want to send our website screenshots privately.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
859 71 209

Thanks for following up, @Stimulus!

That's completely understandable. Unfortunately I don't have a direct email address, so in this case, I suggest contacting our live Support team directly for assistance. Since our live Support team will be able to properly authenticate your account and view your domain settings, they'll be the best equipped to assist. You can get in touch through our Help Center here

Thanks again! 

0 Likes