Transfer of .ca domains not supported?

2 0 0

Hi,

We wanted to transfer our domain to shopify but it says that transfer of .ca domains is not supported. Is there any way around this? What other hosting sites work well with redirecting to Shopify?

Thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
241 8 29

Hi there,

Freddie here from the Shopify Support team, happy to help!

Transferring a .ca domain to your Shopify account isn't currently supported, but this is only for transferring the domain to Shopify so you would manage your domain settings/renew the domain via Shopify directly. There is no workaround for transferring a .ca domain to our platform at this point in time. You can find full information on this right here. However, you can still point your domain to your Shopify store so you can still use it! Here are the steps:

1. Log in to the account you have with your domain provider.

2. Find your DNS settings. Look for your domain management area, DNS configuration, or similar.

3. Edit your A record to point to Shopify's IP address 23.227.38.32 

The domain settings panel might feature drop-downs or editable fields, or you might have to check boxes or edit a table. You need to:

• enter or choose the @ symbol, or A record
    • enter Shopify's IP address 23.227.38.32 
  4. Save the A Record (click SaveSave Zone FileAdd Record, or similar).

5. Find the CNAME record in your DNS settings.

6. Change your www CNAME record to point to shops.myshopify.com . Often, you need to provide just the prefix without the dot, but for some domain providers you need the whole subdomain. Use the existing entries as a guide, or follow your provider's instructions. CNAME records must always point to a domain name, never to an IP address.

7. Save the CNAME Record (usually by clicking Save or Add record or similar).

Now you need to verify your connection in Shopify.

You can find full step-by-step instructions on these steps, as well as specific instructions avaiable for your personal domain provider, right here.

Let me know if this helps, and if you have any further questions that I can help you with!

Best regards,

Freddie
Shopify Support - support@shopify.com

Freddie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hello,

So, If I understand correctly. Shopify (a Canadian company) charges Canadians in USD, also charges PST and GST, and just to make things worse does not support .ca domains? As a new CANADIAN business to Shopify, I am getting more and more discouraged with their service towards Canadians.  This is just getting worse and worse. 

1 Like
1 0 0

Is there a workaround to mask the url??  As a corporation, it's embarrassing to have a site that ends in myshopify.com.  Like HORRIFYING.

0 Likes