Transferring From GoDaddy

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi there,

I just recently opened up an online store on GoDaddy, but the customization is limited. I tried making a Shopify store with my store name and the name was taken. Is this because someone actually has my store name on Shopify or because I have a store with that name on GoDaddy? 

Thank you,

Tyler Crosby

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
289 32 44

Hi, @tylercrosby !

When signing up for Shopify, you're prompted to submit your store name so that we can generate a myshopify.com URL. The myshopify.com URL is essentially like a username for the business. If you own a custom domain through GoDaddy, your myshopify.com URL will essentially only be used for authentication purposes and for signing into the account. When you're signing up, it sounds like the system is telling you that the store name you're submitted is taken, so I'd recommend just using a memorable variation of the store that you can use for login purposes. For example, instead of calling your store Example, try Example Store or Example Online. Once the store is created you can follow the steps here to connect your custom domain.

Hope this helps!

Oliver | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
253 10 31

Hi there @tylercrosby 

After choosing a domain name, you can connect it to your Shopify store. Connecting your third-party domain to Shopify shows your domain name at your Shopify store. In other words, when someone types in your custom URL into their web browser, it will direct them to your Shopify store. Here is our guide on how to link your GoDaddy domain to Shopify, kindly take a look and follow the step-by-step guide included in it. Hope it helps! 

I'm Jason Dao, Manager of Research & Development Department at Avada Ecommerce.
0 Likes