Transition from Square to Shopify POS + Loyalty program for POS

Highlighted
Pathfinder
134 0 36

Hi all. We are working through transitioning from Square POS for our brick & mortar store to Shopify. We use Shopify for eCommerce. Our Square loyalty program is currently widely used by and popular with our brick & mortar customers. We are currently exploring rise.ai and smile.ai. I love what these apps will do for my eCommerce customers.

My hang up is converting my brick & mortar customers. I have accepted that I will likely be unable to "convert" these customers to the new system. I will likely have to push one mass discount to them all and tell them "we're converting. it's going to be better. here's a discount. thanks for your patience with us." I'm fine with training my staff with having that conversation with the customer as we convert them. 

As we look at this as it will work going forward...

1-How does sign up happen at the cash register? With Square loyalty, customers pop up automatically with a card swipe/dip and the sign up is via cell phone number. Once the cell number is saved, it happens automatically with subsequent transactions. I have settled on the fact that with a Shopify POS loyalty app, this will have to be via email address. Will my staff have to ask for the email address at every transaction? How can this happen automatically?

2-Where does the customer see/find their rewards balance? (Square sends a text.) Do they have to log in? Is there a push notification? Is it just something we have a conversation with them about when they're standing at the register? 

I appreciate any feedback! Hope every is safe and well during this time :)

Spice. Sweet. Savory. Hot.
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
125 2 11

Hi @Red_Stick_Spice, I'm Neomi from Rise.ai app,

So glad to hear you are considering us for your loyalty program!

First of all, about transferring all of your existing customers, our team can help you transfer all the customers and their balance into your new Shopify account using their email/phone number, so you won't need to worry about any of it.

to register new customers you need them to register once with email at the POS, and from that moment on, the credit would be integrated into the account - they will be able to use it in the store or in the online shop. The new experience will be just like having a full loyalty card experience without having a physical card at all!

Your customers will be able to check their rewards balance every time they will log in to their account on the website or at the register. In addition, customers that are registered with their email account can be notified by email about the rewards they receive after buying at your store. 

You can read more about our loyalty program integration with POS

feel free to contact me at info@rise.ai

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 9

Biggest problem with all the loyalty programs we have tried to use since switching from Square is duplicate customers, and the clunky way of searching for the customer prior to checkout.  Since Shopify does such a poor jobs of managing customer data, we have 2-8 customer entries for one customer.  It becomes impossible and takes way too long to call up the correct customer to see their loyalty points.  

The loyalty app should query the customers with accounts and filter out the duplicates, however each loyalty program, Smile.io and Rise.ai both just query shopify data first, and too many results come up.  This is such a simple fix, however it appears there is no one with real POS and loyalty program or square experience.  They would see how poorly functiong all the loyalty programs being used from the POS is.

Highlighted
Pathfinder
134 0 36

Thank you for this response. This is fantastic information.

And I agree. Shopify "gurus" don't seem to have real life POS experience. Most of my support calls are spent explaining the system to them. I find that support knowledge from Shopify in general has been greatly diminished. Even pre-Covid, I noticed the shift. Thanks again.

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 9

Don't even get me started on shopify support, and the 3 replies they cut and paste now.  I remember the days of great support, but thats long gone, really sad actually.

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
125 2 11

Hi @balladofthebird it's Neomi from Rise again,

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Rise POS solution, I checked with our tech team and you should be able to solve all of the duplicates problems using our app.

This is exactly what we are doing for merchants all over the world.

We would like to offer you a new 7 days free trial and an onboarding call with one of our success managers to help you solve this issue and make sure you will get the most out of your Rise experience.

you can schedule a call in this link

please don't hesitate to contact us with any question at info@rise.ai

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

I am having this same issue. Trying to transition over and I have a lot of loyalty customers on Square that are very pleased with the point system. Have you found any system that has helped? 

Highlighted
Pathfinder
134 0 36

We are now leaning strongly toward Smile. It meets our needs in both our brick and mortar store and online. Square offers ZERO support in regard to transitioning rewards customers, so we are going to do it manually, one by one. Shopify has its downside as well. Read ballad's post above. Shopify does a terrible job with customer data. But we are just going to suffer through, as using the two systems has become problematic as we've grown from an inventory management perspective.

Dealing with Shopify and Square during this transition has me wondering how they can call themselves "small business solutions." Nothing but problems as far as my eye can see.

I hope this helps. 

0 Likes