Tried to cancel subscription after free trial was charged

Hayes_Henry
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello, I recently tried to cancel my subscription that was set to end and thought I had done so. I look at my bank account and realized I was charged a whopping $80. Mind you I'm a student, have barely any money and I'm saving up for a car. I thought I ended the trial but ended up getting charged instead and I really need the money back. I am going to have to buy new textbooks. Will somebody from Shopify please help me and look into a refund for me. It will be unbelievably appreciated and a lifesaver. I do not have the money to pay for this and I guess the cancellation of my store did not go through. I am so sorry for the inconvenience. 

Thank you for the help,

Hayes Henry

Replies 14 (14)

Ava
Shopify Staff
1161 78 197

Hi, @Hayes_Henry!

I'm sorry to hear that, I can understand the frustration here for sure. I'd like to dig into this deeper for you now to make sure that A) the store is now fully closed, and B) see if a refund is possible here. I'll just need to authenticate you first! I've reached out to the email address linked to your Community Forums account here, would you be able to reply to that email? If you can, I'll be able to authenticate you as the account owner so I can look into this issue for you. You should see my email in your inbox under ticket #19205025. If you can reply to that email, we can get started!

Speak soon!

AvaSocial Care | help.shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

CarlosT
Visitor
2 0 0

Need help!! Shopify charged me $30 after free trial ended when I thought you didn’t have to cancel it and it’ll end by itself. Trial ended on January 10th and I got charged 30 minutes ago already!! I just want my $30 dollars back so I can close the store before I get charged another $30!! This is unbelievable

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thanks for reaching out about this, @CarlosT.

Bill shock can cause quite an issue, regardless of the amount, once a bill has been received that is unexpected, it can cause additional stress to the person who is the recipient.

Do you recall choosing a paid plan once you had the trial active? As a credit card is not required for the trial period, normally once the 14-day ends, the store would subsequently close until a plan is selected.

However, can you confirm that your store is fully closed? Once this has been done, I may be able to take a look and see if I can assist with any refunds.

Refunds are dependant on a number of factors and only cover Shopify subscription charges. Domain charges would not be refunded as these are considered one-off payments that last one calendar year. Additionally, third-party app charges would also need to be approved by the app developers.

Let me know how you get on!

All the best,

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 

KarelR
Visitor
1 0 0

I have the same issue. 

I had 4 days of trial left, so decided to cancel in time to not be charged.

But on cancelling I did get charged...

Not really expected behavior.

looking forward to get reimbursed.

thx in advance

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thanks for reaching out about this, @KarelR.

It sounds like a paid plan may have been selected prior to canceling, and the bill may have been automatically generated prior to doing so.

To be certain, we would need to take a closer look at this, and we’ll need to access your account in order to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Community Forums at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit The Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request. Once logged in, search for a topic to try to assist you with this query, and you will see the option to continue to get to the live support teams below these topics.

Once the team can gain access to your account, they can query what has occurred for you here.

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 

aemitte
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

I am having the same issue. I am a student decided i wanted to try out Shopify for extra income. Being busy, I forgot I had selected a subscription plan as I was planning on launching my store however, ended up not doing so. I tried to close my store but Shopify wants me to pay $30 since the trial ended. I had not even launched the store. Is there any way around this charge? As I mentioned above, I am a student and cannot afford a payment of this amount.

I appreciate any help and thanks for reading,

Ashley

Ivy
Shopify Staff
1033 82 130

Hi there, @aemitte.

I can definitely understand where you are coming from - My student days were a struggle too! Once this charge has been applied, there is no way to reverse to. So the best way forward here would be to pay the invoice, close your store and then get the amount refunded back to you.

In order for payments to stop completely, you must elect to close your store. You will receive no further bills from Shopify after closing your store provided there are no outstanding charges. The process for closing the store can only be done by the store owner, for a store with no outstanding invoices. The steps are as follows:  

• From your Shopify admin, click Settings, and then click Plan and permissions or Account.
  • In the Store status section, click Sell or close store.
  • Click Close store.
  • Enter your password to continue.
  • Select a reason from the drop-down menu and then click Close store.
  • To confirm that your store is closed, you can go to your store's URL and see that your store no longer appears. 

If you choose to re-open your store within 30 days of closing it, then Shopify guarantees that all of your store's data and configuration information will be preserved. Shopify can't guarantee that any data will be preserved more than 30 days after closing your store. If you have any third-party apps that have your payment information outside of Shopify, then cancel your service with those apps to avoid being billed externally after you close your store.

Once you have completed this, you can request a refund from our live support team. Our live support via phone, chat or email can be reached via our support portal here.  Simply type your query into the "ask about a topic" bar, then hit continue to support to access. Here's a video showing the steps in action. 

I hope this helps, best of luck with your studies!

Ivy | Social Care @ Shopify

Out Of Office

-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 

mildredhrn
Visitor
2 0 0

Same thing just happened to me this week.  I canceled the day before my trial period was to end.  I was charged $348 anyway!  I got on chats with several customer service people.  Was promised the matter was escalated to the billing department.  Haven't heard a word back and repeated attempts to contact the customer service reps are not being answered.  Can anyone please help me?  I'm opening fraud claims with my credit card company.  

Ivy
Shopify Staff
1033 82 130

Hi there, @mildredhrn.

I can definitely understand this is a lot of money and this is important to you. Please do bear in mind, all refund requests have to escalated to our billing team and they usually take a minimum 24-72 business hours to reach out, sometimes the wait can be a bit longer  - this does not include weekends and public holidays so I am sure your email is on its way and it is just a case of awaiting their reply. Your ongoing patience is so appreciated, thank you. 

Out Of Office

mildredhrn
Visitor
2 0 0
Thanks for your respond. The matter has been resolved and my credit card
refunded! Shouldn’t have been so difficult.
OverchargedUser
Visitor
2 0 0

I have similar issue, I had 3 days until my trial expiered, I got charged 26.99$ the same day I closed my store.

Can you refund me please ?

Stokesy999
Visitor
1 0 0

I am a university student 

Done free trial and cancelled it and was charged £25 at end of trail 

especially when money is tight this isn’t ideal

OverchargedUser
Visitor
2 0 0

I have not any replies yet about this issue, since I replied days ago

I have similar issue, I had 3 days until my trial expiered, I got charged 26.99$ the same day I closed my store.

Can you refund me please ?

Ivy
Shopify Staff
1033 82 130

HI there, @OverchargedUser.

Apologies for the delay in replying. Refund requests cannot be handled here via the community forums - access to your account and details are needed to process these kinds of requests.

For this, you will need to reach out to live support, as this is the only secure way we can access your account. Our live support can be reached here.  Please follow the prompts given by the virtual Help Center assistant in order to access our live chat support. Thanks so much!

Out Of Office