Trying to setup "Purchase Order" as a payment option

Giants_Fan
7 0 0

I have customers that cannot use a credit card to purchase, for example public schools that can only make purchases with PO's and I receive payment 30 days later.  I want to make it easy for them to do so.

Currently I have a manual payment option setup at checkout called "purchase order" which allows the order to be placed, but then through email we have to the po# and push the order through.  I haven't found a way to add a text field that they can enter the PO number instead of just checkbox it.  So this is pretty cumbersome, a little confusing to the customer, and open to anybody who is shopping on my site.

Is there a better way to set this up?  I would like to be able to limit this option to customers with accounts approved to do so.  And have the ability for them to enter the PO# during checkout rather than afterwards through email.

I did just install customerfields app to be able to setup tax exempt customer accounts.  I have an email out to their support asking if their app can help with this issue as well but figured I'd ask here too.

0 Likes
Giants_Fan
7 0 0

Heard back from CustomerFields app, their app doesn't have the ability to implement PO's the way I would like, or at all really.  Anybody have any ideas?

0 Likes
Giants_Fan
7 0 0

I think what Im going to need to do unless their is an app for this (which I can't find), is keep the manual payment options "purchase order" setup the way it is, with good warning/instructions in the little description area under the payment option.  And then I also need to customize my "order confirmation" notifications.  

Could use some help here.  I see that the default order confirmation can sort out customer by whether their orders are being shipped or local pick up.  Is there a way to add in a filter for my manual payment option?  This way if someone checks out with a PO an email is automatically sent to them which explains the process and ask for the PO #.  Once the customer replys to these emails then I can push an invoice through to them and accept the order in shopify.  

Another question, is it possible to "hide" the manual payment option from certain customers or registered accounts?  Would be great if I could set it up so I can choose which registered customers can checkout with this payment method.

0 Likes
Giants_Fan
7 0 0

Where are all the gurus?

0 Likes
SBWMSU
Tourist
4 0 0

Following in case there is a reply. We definitely need this feature too.

0 Likes
SBWMSU
Tourist
4 0 0

We found a way to add a PO# field to the cart page using Cart Attributes. You need to be able to code to do it, but we were able to get a text field that appears underneath the Order Instructions field where customers can put in their PO number. I also added a little blurb when they select the "PO Number" manual payment method that says "Customers paying with a purchase order must enter their PO number in the Cart page". I wish we could add the field at checkout like our old site, but I don't think you can mess with the payments page too much. When the order comes through, it appears in the upper right corner of the order page. We're going live with our Shopify site next week, so we'll see how this goes.

0 Likes