Trying to try Shopify Free for 14 days but it says there is a Store already with my business name

Highlighted
1 0 0

I did have a Shopify store back in 2015 in my business name but I have not had one since then and when I am trying to try Shopify it is telling me there is a store with my business name.  I tried to log in to see if it was my old one but when trying to do so Shopify says a store with my business name cannot be found/or is not available. I don't know how to get this cleared up.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
308 26 65

Hi, @StrawberriF!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for reaching out and thank you for choosing Shopify!

When you create an account, the business name you choose is converted into a .myshopify.com URL that is included with your subscription. This also acts as an account number, so it cannot be changed or deleted. From what you've described in your message, it looks like the business name you've chosen has been used it the past - and possibly by you. Not all is lost though!

You mentioned you tried to log into the old store but you were unable to. That may mean the account has been purged meaning you're not able to log into that account anymore. When this happens, it's best you start a new store so you can take advantage of the free trial again. To get around the fact the business name is taken, you can try a slight variation to the store name. For example, instead of using yourstore as the business name, you could try yourstore2020 or new-yourstore so you can create the account. Then, once you're set-up, you can head over to Settings > General and change the store name to anything you desire (even if it's been used before). The limitation only exists during the sign-up process due to the domain creation, so you won't see any further issues.

If you're looking for a new business name, why not try out Shopify's Business name generator tool! It's completely free to use and may be a good guide for a new name if you would like to try something new instead of using your old name.

Once you're all set up, you can then purchase a new domain from Shopify or a third-party as you're not required to use the .myshopify.com one. You can purchase a domain from Shopify by going to Online Store > Domains, or from a third-party as well. To learn more about domains, check out this handy guide.

It's really great to hear you are interested in using Shopify! A great place to start is our introduction guide, which will walk through everything from signing up to making your first sale. You can check it out here. I'd recommend checking out Shopify Compass. Shopify Compass provides you with webinars and courses on things like store design, marketing and more. It's 100% free for everyone and new content is being added all the time. This program will help you drive more traffic into your store and also convert that traffic into sales.

We're here 24/7 to help out, so if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like