Two different products, same SKU. Double inventory count?

Waseem2
5 0 0

Hi guys,

I have two seperate products, but due to the nature of them they need to share the same SKU.

Even if I enter the same SKU for the variants on the products, the stock count number still counts them as two different stocks when I look at my inventory count. Is it possible to link the products so that it shares the same inventory count, prefferably without the use of third party apps.

0 Likes
Jason
Shopify Expert
10260 142 1940

Two different products/variants will be viewed as different products. There's no native logic to consider those to be one and the same so for inventory sync you will need an app.

For context, why do you need to have two of the item in your store?

I jump on these forums to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work.

Don't hand out staff invites or give admin password to forum members unless absolutely needed. In most cases the help you need can be handled without that.

★ http://freakdesign.com.au ★
0 Likes
Pedro_Marques
Tourist
4 0 1

Hello
does anyone know if this is possible to execute this problem, there is a lot that I wanted to do this and I can not find a way to do this
Thank you in advance

kal1
Shopify Partner
6 0 5

I would also like to do this - share inventory for variants of different products.

Jason, a possible scenario: (I saw it in another post) You print shirts, but only have 10 blanks size M, so all your shirt models' M size is the same SKU. Another scenario - sell shirts, but not all models have all sizes, so you create a product named "Misc design shirt" and put the deepest inventory SKUs from all your shirts. So customers choose - a specific shirt or the cheaper MISC DESIGN.

0 Likes
customshirts
1 0 0

Anyone figure this out? I'm in the same boat with t-shirts. I carry an inventory of blank shirts that I use across different designs. I do not make the t-shirt until it is actually ordered and then pull from my inventory. I don't have shirts pre-made to sell. I would like the app to use the same SKU and when something is ordered in that blank shirt, it pulls it from inventory. Even though it LOOKS like two different products, it's not when it comes down to the blank tee. It would be nice to have two different sku's per product, one for the design (not necessarily to track inventory, but to track design sales I guess.) and the other for the blank tee.

0 Likes
axsuul
Shopify Partner
101 0 24

Hey @customshirts @kal1 !

Trunk @ https://www.trunkinventory.com is is centralized inventory management that syncs stock levels in real-time between your Etsy, Shopify, Faire, eBay, and Amazon sales channels. It also supports smart bundles and kitting and can definitely do what you’re looking for. In Trunk, you would create your blank shirts (small, medium, large, etc) in your inventory and then have all your actual shirt product variants depend on it which then syncs with your Shopify listings in real-time.

Here’s a mockup I just did of how you would set that up within Trunk:

bundle shirts.png

To learn more about this feature: http://bit.ly/trunkhelpbundles

Let me know if you have any questions!

⚡Sync your stock levels + bundles/kits in real-time between any number of Shopify, Amazon, eBay, Etsy, Faire, QuickBooks Online, Squarespace, Square, Tundra, WooCommerce stores with Trunk
julkitchen02
1 0 0

Some contributor is not answering the questions above.

Seems like people don't understand the concept of SKU.

SKU is the primary unique product itself. Regardless of how variants are different, if these variants share the same SKU, no matter how many of either variant are taken off shelf, the SKU total reduced accordingly.

0 Likes
Simon_M
Shopify Expert
10 0 2

It sounds like you could link products together that share the same SKU using this app https://apps.shopify.com/bundles

We use it to inventory adjust products that sell which are made up of other component products (eg a Hamper has a few of several other products that exist contained within it, and those products inventories reduce also when a hamper is sold), but I can't see why you couldn't use this app to connect two SKU products together (eg all matching SKU products would adjust when any of them are sold). However, you would need to create the relationship between the relevant products in the app, and it may become unwieldy to manage if there are many of these cases.

0 Likes
leeleeloo
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Julkitchen02, 

Excellent! How does this work when adding stock though? Do I just add stock on one of the products and because the SKU is the same Shopify will deduct it where appropriate? 

e.g I have set up a clothing store

Orange top is on the SHOP ALL page and it also has variables (size and colour) within the product page i.e customer can select each colour.  Each colour variant is also on the shop page as a separate product however for the same colour and size they share the same SKU. How do I organise the stock?

0 Likes
Expert_Pro
21 0 0

Hello  friend

I have seen your post and am ready to help you to solve everything, you can mail me through this email address (mavedrey1919@gmail.com)

0 Likes