Typing in description box for a product causes screen to jump with every character typed

Mugbarista
Excursionist
35 0 6

This just started today.  When I type in the product description editor my screen jumps after every character I type.  Imagine the text moving down a line and then back up to its original position after every character is typed.

I traced it to the title, it seems related to how long the product title is.  Over a certain length this jumping occurs.  Under whatever this length is, there is NO jumping.

Is anyone else seeing this?  It's highly annoying, I can't input product data like this. 

Replies 16 (16)

JohnFromJotting
Shopify Partner
665 94 132

Hi @Mugbarista 

Can you show a video of whats happening.

Check out my blog for some awesome Shopify, SEO and Social Media Marketing content.

To hire me, visit my Upwork profile

Mugbarista
Excursionist
35 0 6

I have a video ready to post but can't find a way to do it.  How would I attach a video file?

Thanks 

Mugbarista
Excursionist
35 0 6

This is what is happening:

ChidoriVintage
Visitor
2 0 0

I am having the same problem.  I have a Mac.  I don't know if that is the reason but it is happening across multiple browsers.  

Dan

Mugbarista
Excursionist
35 0 6

For the record I am also using a Mac.

Coincidence?

ChidoriVintage
Visitor
2 0 0
This might be a product of updating to Big Sur. I cannot remember when my staff alerted me of this problem, but it might be around the update time to Big Sur.
Mugbarista
Excursionist
35 0 6

Mine started long before I updated to Big Sur.  

adamwinfrey
Visitor
1 0 0

I am having the exact same problem, Windows 10, Chrome Browser.  On a huge curve screen so it's making me sea sick.

Sharon_B
Pathfinder
104 1 36

It is happening to me also. Windows and Firefox (newest version). Interesting comment about the length of the title maybe making it happen. I'll have to test that idea (I tend to have long titles). I always copy and paste the description when I initially put it in, but notice this if I go in and edit it. Does drive one crazy!

Brenda_McDaniel
Excursionist
16 0 4

The same is happening for me.  Just started yesterday. Using up to date Firefox browser. It seems to happen when I duplicate a product, then start typing in the description box.  If I start typing in the description box on an existing listing, the title bounces.  Extremely annoying!

productJulia
Visitor
1 0 0

SAME!!! So annoying! Just started with Shopify's changes, I think. I have to just type staring at my hands, then proofread it after I'm done--making me seasick. PLEASE FIX THIS.

chelmcgroarty
Visitor
1 0 1

Same....it's driving me crazy

AlisonVW
Visitor
1 0 1

Have Shopify even acknowledged this issue yet?

I've just started to have the same problem - on Windows 10, all browsers - and have to turn completely away from the screen when editing product descriptions. It's far too disorienting.

This is happening because the status is tacked onto the end of the product title, and the status changes as you type. Surely moving status to its own line would solve the issue? Seems an easier solution than limiting store holders to short non-descriptive product titles?

Our business needs product titles to be on the longer side. SEO & UX be damned - we're not regular business-to-consumer retail.

sakconx
Visitor
1 0 0

I did some tinkering and yes, If I shorten my title, save the item then go back and edit it, everything works fine

Grant_Turner
Visitor
1 0 0

Shortening the title fixes it. This and other workflow problems exist because we can't change the column sizes on the product working screen - something Shopify could fix...

Sandy24uk
Visitor
1 0 0

Yes Shopify are aware of this problem, I raised a support ticket in October and again in December when it hadn’t been fixed the first time. Their reply was that it had been fixed but needed to be temporarily undone by the developers?? A fix would be implemented in the near future?? This latest reply was December 19th. In the meantime we are all trying to work around it, stopping ourselves from being sick, whilst continuing to run our businesses. Yes there is a way around it, shorten your product title, complete the form and then edit the title again afterwards. As someone who lists upwards of 60 new products every week this is not a solution but a time consuming annoyance. I don’t understand why Shopify are unable to fix this? They made the changes so just un-change them!! There seem to have been a few updates at the end of last year that really didn’t need doing! First time in 5 years that I have been properly disappointed with Shopify ☹️