UK storeowners & devs - let's improve shipping options!

1 0 0

Please add me to the list as well. It's a basic requirement. I've sellers who aren't able to ship to certain regions of the UK. Without this feature it will have serious implications on my business.

Many thanks
Geoff

0 Likes
3 0 0

Shopify - we need to be able offer delivery costs by postcode in the UK. 

I know there are apps that can offer this – we all do - however shipping should be considered a core functionality and using an app is extremely dangerous, here is why:

1.      Unsupported by theme developers. This means it may not be compatible and could damage browser compatibility; this can cause huge losses in sales. Consequently the moment you add an app you need to invest in expensive tools (about $360 USD a year) to test your website – and these don’t always show temperamental problems. Furthermore it is up to the user to regularly test their compatibility, perhaps use an automated service you say, bang another $360 USD per year.   

2.      Loss of support by Shopify and Theme developers as per T&Cs. This basically negates the main benefits of using a platform like Shopify. This is a high cost to the user.

3.      Apps need to be reinstalled when the theme is updated. Themes are very regularly updated because of bugs, Shopify updates and browser updates. This adds a huge amount of time and cost to the Shopify service. Maybe another $1500 a year if you pay an “expert,” of course it depends on the complexity, it could be more or less.

4.      Integration – apps often require various changes to make them match the style of the website. For the majority of users this is beyond their capabilities and requires yet more expenditure.  

In conclusion using an App as a workaround is irresponsible to suggest as an option and can cost upwards of $2000 per year before taking into account potential losses. 

I think it is time Shopify resolves this problem or at least tell people that they have no intention on doing so.

0 Likes
3 0 0

I've had a reasonably long chat with a guy called Paul on the web chat customer service line.  While he was very polite and said he'd logged all of my points to forward on to the developers (including a link to this thread) - there didn't sound like there was anything going to happen soon.

The reason given is to ensure that the same service is given to all users - I pointed out that the UK would like the same level of service as Poland and Mexico are getting.

I also pointed out that this looks a bit like someone has a financial interest in the app they give as a 'solution' to the problem - leading to them ignoring their apparent 2nd biggest market.

The only hope for this is if enough people get on their case - if you're one of those who asked for it years ago then ask for it again and remind them how long it's taking.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
13 0 4

This baffles me! Shopify is a great system, very reliable, user friendly and appears to be very innovative. 

We did a lot of research before choosing this platform and they are cited as one of, if not THE market leader in ecommerce.

They certainly get compared to all the other big players and often come up equal or on top on various comparison sites.

But UK shipping options is not something you tend to research when first starting out, you just assume something so fundimental and basic will not be an issue.

This is not the only thing either!

Slightly off topic but... Was anyone else baffled that only ONE level of subcategory is supported for collections? In fact that's not even a subcategory. Only top level collections are supported. Subcategories are not.

And how you can only apply ONE rule to Discount Codes?

These seem like such basic things that EVERY SINGLE store owner would require. Not just a few advanced users... everyone.

If I'd known these issues from the start I wouldn't have chosen Shopify. I'm sure all systems have their downsides, but I can't imagine any others have things as basic as this.

I have a bit of experience with WooCommerce and although not perfect, it can handle everything I've just mentioned. Some may require a plugin, but plugins are usually a reasonable one-off payment, or FREE. The basic setup of Wordpress/WooCommerce is also free.

Does anyone else have experience with any of the other big players? Did anyone switch from one of them to Shopify for other reasons?

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 1

I've just tweeted at the CMO, that might help get a little light shed on it. We know it's a realtively quick fix as it already exists, we just need to get it on the dev runway. 

0 Likes
3 0 0

Exactly, the fact that the functionality already exists - and has done for so long, really pains me!

0 Likes
1 0 0

Any more news? More and more people everyday in need of this option?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
8 0 1

This isn't only a UK issue.

We are an Irish online store and ship to Northern Ireland but because it is lumped in with the UK I'm forced to charge UK shipping rates when I can ship free like Irish customers using my standard courier.

I'm losing business over this and since moving to Shopify granted my Irish business is booming because I do think Shopify is super feature rich but my Northern Irish market has crashed, hardly get an order now because we can't offer free shipping like the rest of Ireland.

For this to be mentioned 5/6 years ago as a basic problem and it not to be fixed is amazing and there has to be a financial reason why Shopify won't fix this bug. 

Is it a way to try to force middle earning customers like us to go Shopify Plus to get it fixed?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
265 0 21

Problem with Shopify is that as soon as someone develops an app to cover a feature it seems like they don't want to add it to the base product for fear of upsetting the developer or losing the revenue stream.

If I didn't know how to program my way around most of the issues with Shopify I would have gone to another platform long ago for that reason.

At times it seems like they are more interested in serving the needs of their app developer customers rather than those who are using the platform to sell actual goods.

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 2

I'm amazed this has not received any attention from Shopify in what is now approaching two years, and can only support all the posts in this thread.

I would add one thing however and ask if anyone else has had this same issue. A customer put in an Isle of Man postcode and incorrectly clicked on UK instead of IOM as the country. Shopify proceeded to apply a UK mainland shipping rate despite the fact that IOM is classed as a different country. So not only is there no regional shipping rate feature for the UK and islands, but it appears that a customer can fool the system into charging an incorrect rate. In this case it was a simple mistake on the customer's part, but it should not have gone through.

1 Like