UK storeowners & devs - let's improve shipping options!

Highlighted
Shopify Expert
43 0 9

Hi all -

As some of you may know, Shopify are in the process of rolling out the new shipping zones feature.

As someone who runs several stores based in the UK, the inability to split shipping into various
zones such as mainland uk, northern ireland, scottish isles etc without additional apps has been very frustrating not to mention costly. After making my thoughts known again to the Shopify team, I was pointed in the direction of the new feature as linked above.

It looks like it has good potential, as it currently breaks up countries such as Spain, Italy and Poland into their various
provinces, yet the UK is still lumped together as one country. This possibly comes down to a lack of understanding of how the British Isles work, and I was hoping that this thread could be used by others based here to chime in and have their say on how the zones could be structured. This then could possibly be used as important feedback for Shopify; if you don't ask you don't get.

My thoughts are to break the UK up as the following:

• Northern Ireland (Postcodes beginning with BT)
  • Scottish Highlands (Postcodes beginning with KW, IV, PH, PA & AB)
  • Scottish Isles (Includes Shetland, Orkney & the Western Isles) - Postcodes beginning with HS & ZE)
  • Scilly Isles (Postcodes beginning with TR21, TR22, TR23, TR24 & TR25)
  • UK Mainland
  • Isle of Man (already included as separate country)

(Jersey & Guernsey are both already included as separate countries.)

There are 123 islands that make up the UK, so I can't see how I could include them all, but I think having the above would be a great start, and make Shopify much more usable for UK storeowners. Even if this setup looks good to you, please show your support so that we can get these changes through!

6 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

Yes I definitely agree. I have called them multiple times wondering how I could split the UK into different options like you have shown above. I have spent over a week looking at other UK Shopify store owners and researching a lot on forums but I still can't figure out how this can be done. Some regions cost three times as much to ship to compared to the UK Mainland. When I first realised that Shopify haven't got a fix for this, I was very surprised. I have thought about switching to another platform because of this problem. All of my competitors offer these Non-Mainland shipping services so this would go down as lost business for me if nothing is done about it. Shopify is supposed to make life easier, not harder. I am very frustrated right now.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
43 0 9

Hi Bhavik - thanks for your input. I'm suprised there hasn't been more activity on this thread, as I know that there's many people out there like us (I personally know of a few studios who have ditched shopify for this reason, plus a few stores too).

Unfortunately I'm not much help, but all I can ask is that we keep our petitions known to Shopify!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

I have some good news but take this with a grain of salt. I spoke to their support team and they said they have something for the UK coming before the end of the year but not to take this as a commitment. Hopefully, they do come out with something that works for everyone in the UK. Fingers crossed.

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 2

I support the original post. I too have just run into this issue and I'm also shocked to find there are many posts requesting this going back years ago, and still it hasn't been resolved.

Here's one example thread from 2013 where a Shopify employee says it's a pending feature request: https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/ecommerce-discussion/t/country-doesn-t-exist-in-shipping-161378

Nearly 2 years later and still no sign of it. 

Seriously, how difficult can it be?

This is a very important feature needed by many UK businesses. Quite frankly, it could be the difference between choosing Shopify or another platform. It's that serious.

Please Shopify - resolve this urgently. Look back at how many threads and posts there are about this.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 1

I think Shopify just looked at where Royal Mail ships to and thought that covered it.

It certainly needs addressing along with the checkout address layout for UK users ASAP.

I'm loving many things about Shopify but it's US centric view of the World is starting to cause me lots of niggling issues with ths setup of my new store.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

Hi Chaps, 

I don't suppose you got any update on this? I'm another UK user who's sick of having to choose whether to get in contact with a customer to turn down their order or physically lose money shipping it to an island!

I've raised this (and the things like the lack of UK POS support) but it's a like hitting your head against a brick wall!

Thanks

Andy 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

I would also like to stress how important this issue is. We are regularly losing revenue on Northern Ireland orders, we had another one just today. My Logistics Manager is bemused by the way Shopify ignore this issue.

Shopify provide regional options for Italy, Spain and Portugal, but not the UK. I don't understand why Shopify cannot fix this.

It's a real pity. In almost every way, Shopify is a fantastic platform. But UK customers are getting short changed on occasions.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
368 0 34

Hello Everyone, Ben here - your Shopify Guru! 

There has been requests for this, more then once. We are aware of the need, I have added all of your stores to a feature request list. If this becomes implemented you will be notified. 

For now I would recommend you all check out the new Postcode Shipping Extension app. That will let you set up rates for postal code ranges as described above. 

I hope this helps! Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions :)

Cheers,
Ben C - Shopify Guru
Support@Shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
43 0 9

Hi Ben - thanks for the reply. Unfortunately though I have to be honest and say this isn't helpful at all.

If you read my original post again, I am aware of the app workarounds, but that's exactly what they are; workarounds. The apps themselves are not foolproof, add several extra steps, and cost money. The app you mention also requires an upgrade to allow for realtime carrier shipping all which results in running a shopify store being more costly and more of a pain for UK users.

When combined with several other areas of Shopify that the UK has been left behind on it's no suprise there is a growing discontent with shopify among UK users. At first we were told that these updates were around the corner, so we happily hopped on board, but now we are started to look elsewhere. 

Instead of repeating what we've already heard, it would be helpful to know the answers to the following:

1) It's clearly something you already do as there ARE divisions between zones within Shopify for many countries such as Italy, Spain and Poland. Why is the UK not on this list?

2) I have been told that this feature WILL be added, but you have now said IF. Has this now changed. And if so, as you have already admitted there is a need, and one that has had many requests. Why then would you not make this update?

3) Do you not think that realtime shipping extension to UK users should be free to allow for this inconsistency?

Thank you

2 Likes