URL Ownership Change

Playa5
1 0 0

Hello, 

3 months ago someone purchased a URL from me “OnlyDopeThings.com”. I bought this url from Shopify a year ago or so. 

Just today the buyer told me that the URL was only connected but not officially transferred. So when he is saying is that it is not registered to his name. That url is no longer in my store. How do I change the ownership to him? I bought it I guess through Shopify(tuccows). This is urgent please help me.

0 Likes
Lilith
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
493 56 131

Hi, @Playa5.

My name is Lilith, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

It sounds like you may need to contact us directly to see if we can locate your domain and help you out.

If you've followed the guide for removing Shopify managed domains from your store, and contacted us to do that, then we'll definitely need to get you authenticated through our live support to look into the situation and assist. Removing a domain doesn't mean it was transferred, instead, it simply means that you removed it and it's sitting in with the host and not going anywhere until the registration expires.

However, if you didn't contact us to remove the domain from the account, we'd want to know a bit more detail on what steps you took to do that removal and when you did that.

If you instead, successfully transferred the domain to your new buyer's store it could be just a matter of them changing the registration themselves in Shopify. Here's what that looks like:

02-02-15262-65470

You may need to confirm through your email that those changes are approved by you (the original owner). However, if they're using a 3rd party host, they'll need to check that host's help pages to find where to change the registration.

Either way, you'll need to be in contact with our 24/7 live support to help you determine what was done and the appropriate method to resolve this.

Since you've sold your domain, have you been working on a different business? Was there an area of opportunity that you felt would have helped you with the former domain brand name? I'd love to help provide some insight if you're looking to scale your Shopify store business.

Let me know how you do with the information above! I'm happy to answer any questions you think of as you work on your business.

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes