URL redirect when using Bulk editor - does it exist?

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

I have to update the URL of many of the products we offer.  I want to use the Bulk Editor to do so.  I see I can use the "URL and handle" option, but when updating this way, it doesn't allow for you to redirect the old URL. 

When changing the URL via the product page, it offers an option to "create a URL redirect".  How do we do this for bulk upload?  Does it ask us after we submit, if we want to have the old URLs redirected or does not feature not exist in Shopify? 

Thank you for your time. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
310 33 61

Hello.

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify.

If you're using the Bulk Editor to update your URLs you won't be asked to set up redirects in the same way that you are when adjusting them in individual products. This means that the URLs will update and the old ones will become inactive. I've passed this along to our developers so that they can look into the possibility of adding this feature, thank you for asking about it and adding to the discussion!

To fix any broken links you can bulk import redirects to your site by going to Online Store>Navigation>URL redirects. There is an import option here where you can upload a redirect CSV file. This page here explains the steps and has a CSV template you can copy. You could build the CSV while updating the URLs in the bulk editor by copying over the old and new links.

Another option would be using an app. There are several options in the app store, which you can see here, that are able to find broken links and redirect them automatically. This may be an easier option depending on the redirects you're wanting set up.

I hope this helps with the changes you're making. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Lizzy,

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, we discovered an issue that complicates things even further.  When we update the URL in the regular way and it allows us to redirect the old URL - this is not working.  If we enter one of the old URLs, it takes us to a 404 page instead of redirecting us to the new page.  Can you please help us understand why this functionality is not working?  

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
310 33 61

Hey, jchats.

You'll want to make sure that your redirects are appearing under Online Store>Navigation>URL Redirects. If the redirects aren't listed in there they won't be functioning on the site which will result in a 404 for the old links. If they are appearing in there correctly, but still not redirecting there may be something we need to look into for you. Are you able to check that spot and make sure any redirects you've created on the product pages are appearing?

If they are there, but aren't functioning let me know and I can look into this further for you. If you set them to be created when the product URL was updated, but they didn't generate properly, let me know this as well and I can look into that too.

Thank you.

Lizzy | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Lizzy,

They do not appear there.  However, we have changed them using the URL redirect under "Search Engine Listing preview".  What is the purpose of the URL redirect here if it's not to set up a URL redirect?

Thank you,
Jodie

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
310 33 61

Hi Jodie.

Thank you for sharing that screenshot!

Selecting this option should create the redirect for you. I've sent you an email so that I can check why it might not be populating with our technical team. Feel free to reply if you would like us to look into it further.

Thank you

Lizzy | Shopify Guru

0 Likes
1 0 0

I'd love to upvote this feature as well. When doing SEO Audits and changes for clients we often run into this need to bulk update URL to include keywords and include the redirects.

0 Likes