Solved

Is Shopify planning to add an end-of-day scan form feature?

haircrown
Visitor
2 0 16

Will Shopify ever plan on adding end-of-day scan form feature??? 

Accepted Solution (1)
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

This is an accepted solution.

Hi everyone, 

As mentioned in this thread already, there is an update on this feature now. 

We’re happy to share that you can now generate a SCAN Form for USPS shipping labels purchased with Shopify Shipping using the free Shipping Manifests app. For those who are not aware, when you generate a SCAN Form for a batch of shipments, USPS scans one barcode on the form to accept all of those shipments instead of scanning each package individually.  Learn more about how to create SCAN Forms on Shopify

Thanks again all for your feedback

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 119 (119)
TexasT25
Visitor
1 0 2
Come on Emma/Shopify, it's now been almost a year and you guys still haven't implemented this very basic and simple feature, that's so crucial for ANY e-commerce store to have!

We just yesterday had our packages get taken off the counter at USPS by an employee who figured we'd left a scan sheet with the front desk and all the packages were scanned, now we're going through a mess trying to figure out where all these packages are because NONE have been scanned into the system, yet nobody seems to know where they are. And USPS keeps asking "are you sure you guys dropped off the packages" which leaves us liable and responsible for any of the packages not found!!
This really is a feature rather simple to code into Shopify's system. Why they haven't done it yet it's anybody's guess
ClearChoiceAqua
Explorer
42 0 28
While Shopify shipping is easier I've been really happy with Pirate ship for the last few weeks. We've saved so much on our small but heavy packages by using priority cubic. I used to use UPS for small/heavy stuff but this is way cheaper. I don't think I'll go back to Shopify shipping anymore unless they offer cubic
SimplyInspired
Tourist
4 0 5

Emma,

Clearly you can see by the responses that this is not an optional feature but a necessity if you are doing any kind of volume.  I am kind of shocked that the feature does not exist and more shocked at the lack of responses to folks over the last year.   I have looked at several of the 3rd party apps and none seem to simply solve the problem.  Today I need to start exploring options for another platform for our business.   I must be missing something - because I am not sure why Shopify does not see the essential need for a scan sheet and how it will hurt your business. 

ClearChoiceAqua
Explorer
42 0 28
Im really happy with Pirate ship, USPS cubic is saving us so much money on the small/heavy packages
ecom0805
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks for the recommendation.  I will check them out.  I reported this manifest report need to shopify today.  I spoke with Sarah F.  Hopefully Shopify will implement it this year.  That would be great.  The last thing I want is ANOTHER app to pay for.  geeze.

Arnoldo_Gutierr
Tourist
7 0 6

Any updates on this (USPS Scan Form)? When is it going to be available?

ClearChoiceAqua
Explorer
42 0 28
Most likely never... People have been asking for it since 2017

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Shopify-and-the-USPS-SCAN-Form/td-p/307477

It's a basic function, my post office expects it when you drop off a large volume so Shopify shipping is t going to happen for us. I would have upgraded my plan to include the cubic pricing but what's the use when I have to trust the post office to accept 40 packages without losing some. Without an acceptance I'm liable for the lost package even if it is insured.

Pirate ship is kinda clunky but it learns the weights of common purchases so it's getting better
ecom0805
Visitor
2 0 0
It sounds like never. Shopify doesn't care. Your best bet is to go with
an app like shipstation. We're using pirate ship which is free but it has
it's setbacks because you cannot use it if you need to split the order
between two shipping locations.
ClearChoiceAqua
Explorer
42 0 28
I just enter the address manually for the first address and fill that in Shopify then proceed as normal in pirate ship for the second half. It's rare for us but I could see it being a problem if you have to do it often.

Same for shipping multiple packages like on backorders or pre orders
butterflyersinc
Tourist
6 0 16

I think it’s ridiculous that Shopify has not integrated this into their platform for their merchants and for the sake of all those postal workers who hate merchants like me that bring them 100+ orders each day. Get with the program Shopify and stop forcing your paying customers to pay extra just to click one button to print a summary sheet for the USPS!

EricLawson
Visitor
1 0 3

Has anyone found if they created a scan form yet? We are for sure need this. 

@-Emma- Can you help?

Arnoldo_Gutierr
Tourist
7 0 6
Looks like Emma’s last reply is from July 2019. Will need someone else
from Shopify to respond.
Simon_Scott
Excursionist
26 2 30

Shopify and social responsibility. SCAN FORMS.

My business ships around 60 packages a day, 6 days a week. We drive to the post office six times a week, stand in line and watch as each package is scanned one by one. The system works but is wholly inefficient and completely environmentally unfriendly.

As a company we have switched to cardboard boxes (high in recycled materials), we use brown packing paper and even paper sticky tape. There is no plastic in our workflow and we try as much as possible to curtail our environmental impact. We would like to implement more improvements to our impact and the next big one would be the use of scan forms.

What are scan forms? Imagine you have your packages ready to ship, but rather than going to the post office, you ask the post office to come to you. The postman is delivering each day anyway, so picking up your packages is much better for the environment. In order to do this you simply ask your post office to schedule a daily pickup, they then give you some large reusable bags in which you place your packages and you print a scan form daily. The scan form is basically one barcode that represents all packages and this allows the postman or woman to scan one barcode and pickup your entire shipment. The post person will not scan each package one by one (unless you goto the actual post office).

Scan forms have been requested many times on this forum (please do a search) and Shopify has tended to ignore the requests. I have called support on occasion to ask why scan forms are not available ask the answer is generally “We agree with you, scan forms would be great and we are not clear on why they have not been implemented. We are sure they will be in the future, but we can make no promises”.

I am going to ask Shopify to consider this. Please multiply the number of people on your platform who ship with USPS, by the miles they drive each day to the post office, then calculate the amount of unnecessary pollution that is created. This is all because you continually choose not to implement scan forms on your platform.

Shopify you now live in a world where hedge fund managers are becoming socially responsible and divesting from oil stocks, perhaps that is the same world where online retailers (your customers) are becoming socially aware and looking for a environmentally friendly and socially responsible company to host their stores with. Currently I do not consider you to be that company and it is my hope that you will strongly consider the implementation of scan forms in the near future.

If you agree with the contents of this email, please share it far and wide so that pressure can be applied to the management of Shopify.

P.s. Emma,  Shippo or ShipStation are not good alternatives to Shopify's shipping module.

SimplyInspired
Tourist
4 0 5
I highly recommend that folks stop wasting their time talking to Shopify
about this - because clearly they are just not interested. Instead - get
the Shippo App - it is free and the shipping rates are lower than Shopify.
There are a couple of things you need to get used to - but it will give you
scan forms and you will save money.

Arnoldo_Gutierr
Tourist
7 0 6

Can Shippo handle multiple tracking per orders(multiple boxes)? International shipments without the need to enter the HS and Country of Origin information since this is already in Shopify? Refunds to customer as needed?   If yes, I will start using Shippo. 

SimplyInspired
Tourist
4 0 5
I cant really answer all of those questions - you will need to check with
Shippo.
Arnoldo_Gutierr
Tourist
7 0 6

Please all users interested in the USPS Scan form feature.  create a ticket with shopify.  see link below. 

https://help.shopify.com/en/questions#/contact/email

TCTBB
Tourist
10 0 6

Agreed! And neither is Pirate Ship!! We need this integrated stat into the Shopify shipping feature. I'm forced to go back to etsy this year because they have scan forms built in, and now all the time and labor spent migrating to Shopify (and money!) will be lost. This is so dissapointing that a company with as much money as Shopify (billions!) can't do this for us, the people who make them their money. 

TCTBB
Tourist
10 0 6

Does anyone have time to start an online petition targeted at Shopify to get them to implement the long promised USPS Scan Form integration?

Tfields05
Excursionist
24 0 8
They don’t care and it’s not going to happen to be honest it’s been over 8 plus years where people have been complaining asking etc and still nothing so to be completely honest Shopify gives 0 **bleep**
Kurtis_Van_Kamp
Excursionist
27 0 20

If I did a shopify plug-in, that did an "end of day" scan form for USPS, who would pay $4.99 to $9.99 per month for it?

This has frustrated me for years, I just may do it, but having some financial help to do it and maintain it would be appreciated.  Enough votes, I will take on the task.

TCTBB
Tourist
10 0 6

yes i would pay 4.99 a month but no more 

webdiva
Tourist
4 0 5

Yes I  would pay for a plugin at this point. 

Kurtis_Van_Kamp
Excursionist
27 0 20

Thank you so much for your input, I was 90% done on this when i found out Shopify was working on it.  Thus I stopped.  Unfortunately it was weeks ago, and no progress on shopifys behalf. 

However, with that said, I am not going to proceed with an app for this for shopify if they are doing one, if i do, i will not reap any benefit from it as they will just pull the carpet out from under me.

I cant believe how long it is taking though.  I had a proto working in less than a day, they have been working on it for 2 months with a "team" of programmers, and are still not done.

It really is a no brainer, the API and tools from the USPS to do this are very straight forward, and they have taken care of all the hard stuff.  But, I suppose if you are on a programming team with a few dozen people, working for a company with over a 100 billion market cap, making a huge salary, and a big organization that no longer know what reality is, I would probably sit there and clutch my coffee as well, while pondering this 2-4 hour problem (with half a dozen other people) and dream about my stock options instead of getting anything done as well.

Can you blame them?

chic414boutique
Visitor
1 0 6

I am SO disappointed that there is not a scan form! This a basic feature that shopify should offer and it seems that this has been a discussion for over 2 years! We pay too much money for this easy feature not to be implemented. I am not sure if you guys understand how much of a hassle it is to take the volume we do into a post office and have each package scanned. It is a waste of time for us, for the post workers and for everyone else in line behind us. It is not a good reflection on our business, as it does not look like we know what we are doing! PLEASE, rectify for this for the Sanity of everyone and for the sake of it looking like you care about retaining our business. The lack of response to this issue is just sad

@-Emma- wrote:

Hi, @haircrown

Emma here from Shopify. Welcome to the community! 

This request has definitely been raised before, and I understand that it's a feature that many merchants would love to see implemented. I've gone ahead and added your feedback to a feature request that our developers will be looking at. We're always trying to find ways to improve Shopify, so we thank you for sharing your feedback! I wish I could give you a guarantee, or a timeline, however all I can offer is my assurance that our development team will absolutely take this into consideration. 

In the meantime, have you considered a shipping app such as Shippo or ShipStation? These apps do allow for scan sheets, so depending on your current shipping strategy, they could be an option for your business. 

Let us know if you'd like to discuss this further! 

All the best, 

Emma | Shopify Social Care 

this issue is just sad.

Magoo
Visitor
1 0 0
Any scan sheet resolution yet?
Simon_Scott
Excursionist
26 2 30
None. It is time for Shopify to implement this.

Tfields05
Excursionist
24 0 8
So very sad that Shopify cares NOTHING about our businesses just our money clearly EVERY Shopify expert has declined my request to create a app or want to charge 4000+ they are out or they mind and so is Shopify ... this is a basic feature that Shopify has the funds for .. Shippo garbage pirate ship triple garbage
Simon_Scott
Excursionist
26 2 30
Yes so sad. Its environmentally unsustainable for 100,000’s of shop owners to have to drive to the post office each day. What complete BS is this?
If there were a better platform I’d move.. thanks for your email.
Linewife
Visitor
2 0 5

I NEED a scan form! The USPS is refusing our packages now! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell them it is important that we have this! 

Tfields05
Excursionist
24 0 8
Use pirate ship for now and F*** SHOPIFY they don’t give a damn
ClearChoiceAqua
Explorer
42 0 28
Pirate ship has been working for us, not as easy or fast as shopify but at least there's a scan form option.
ausnchan
Tourist
3 0 3

SHOPIFY.... please, please. I have read so many of your forums. It seems this has been an issue to more than 2 years. My postal carrier DOES NOT LIKE US! We ship too many packages and have NO scan sheet. Please, how hard is it to implement this in Shopify for us to print? 

And yes, I have seen the standard reply. I do not want to pay money for a 3rd party app. Is this coming soon to shopify shipping? 

Clay_Clark
Visitor
2 0 4

We desperately need this USPS Scan Form feature on our store!

myhealthywoe
Excursionist
25 0 12

Same here, they had it a few weeks ago as beta in a few stores now it disappeared.

Darren_Moore
Excursionist
23 0 11

Yes we need this and also to be able to print a pick list or packing lists of all orders we selected at once.  These are some basic features that shouldn't require too much coding.    Please consider this, we need this.

DM
Tfields05
Excursionist
24 0 8
Won’t happen love it’s been 10 years and still nothing
pleveillee
Tourist
6 0 7

This feature is absolutly key to maintaining a relationship with USPS, one of the most affordable shippers. Shopify please recognize that this is needed. 

vampirefreaks
Tourist
9 0 1

this is needed.  we've been using 'pirateship' just to get this feature, but they are not able to track which staff account printed each label which is a bummer for us.  

shopify we NEED this feature!

UltraKosmic9
Visitor
2 0 1

This option doesn't help at all Ship station and Go shippo charge more money to ship packages versus the shipping discounts on Shopify. So when is Shopify going to add this feature since this has been an on going issue for years now apparently? 

Rojo13
Tourist
5 0 3

Why not using shippo? It seems to me the shipping costs are basically the same on all of them.

HBCUPrepSchool
Visitor
1 0 1

Any update on the creation of Shopify's own USPS scan sheet? USPS continues to give pushback at the counter to scan and give a receipt without this feature.

HBCU Prep School

Tfields05
Excursionist
24 0 8
Go else where Shopify is not adding this it’s been a decade they do not care
KShop
Visitor
2 0 1

The shipping manifest app is currently being rolled out to select stores in beta testing. If you have a store that is high volume, you most likely have the feature for beta testing! Check your shop if you have it.

Here is the link where Shopify talks more in detail about the feature.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/shipping/shopify-shipping/shipping-labels/manifests

SgalloTN
Visitor
2 0 0

Just installed the app. Got 55 packages to go out. we'll see how it goes! 😄 

webdiva
Tourist
4 0 5

I just installed it as well, fingers crossed it works! 🙂 

jpstonehouse
Excursionist
14 0 9

It worked!

I tried it with a few orders on Saturday and they accepted the scan form.

Tfields05
Excursionist
24 0 8
Nope don’t have and others don’t as well this is something that should be offered at the end of the day they beta testing and it’s been 20 years since people asking for this Shopify knows better
George_C
Trailblazer
155 1 145

I was able to install it as well. Have not tested it yet. But no issues accessing the installation link. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
Sharon_B
Pathfinder
104 1 36

I just installed it. Should have done it earlier today and could have used it instead of the one I made with Pirate Ship (the only reason I signed up with them was to get the scanning sheet, but it will be SO much easier to do it right from our order sheet here).