Unable to change default currency

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hey Guys!

I am having a hard time to figure out how to change the default curency of my Shopify store!

When I go to "Standards and formats" in the Curency bit I have the default set as GBP... it says below "Change your store's currency by editing your Shopify Payments settings."

Now when I go to the payments setting page I cannot see any option to change the default currency.

Am I missing something?

Can you please someone help me out with this?

I am a web guy but going nuts over here lol

Any help highly appreciated!

Cheers, Pete

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
288 0 41

Hi Pete,

Any shops using Shopify Payments from the UK will need to use GBP as the currency. To change the currency on your store, you will need to change from the Shopify Payments Gateway to another one.

Keep in mind that using Shopify Payments waives transaction fees from all orders. Using a different gateway will bring a 2% transaction fee on the Basic Plan.

Happy selling! :)
0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

I live in Australia but all my customers are in US, so i need my currency of the product prices to be in USD? Is there any way to set the currecny on my shop at USD instead of AUD and still use  Shopify Payments?

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

If it is not possible to have the currecny in USD and still use Shopify Payments from an Australian location, then what would  be the recommended Payments Gateway t ouwe that could still avail my customers of pay pal and crdit card payment options?

0 Likes
5 0 0

Peter, I am in Australia also and my customers are in the subcontinent. Could you please let me know if you resolved your issue as I am having the exact same problem? Many thanks,

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Tristan,

There seems to be 2 ways to solve this issue. One way is to set it up a drop down menu that offers multiple currencies and then set the default setting on this with the currency you prefer to have for your products. See https://docs.shopify.com/themes/customization/currencies/show-multiple-currencies. The main drawdack with this is that is converts back to AUD at the checkout, which may confuse customers (although they can still pay by pay pal in USD or whatever currency they have)

The other option is to use a different payment gateway instewad of the Shopify Payments, which can put everything into a different currency - including checkout. I am doing this for now and using Stripe. ther is a 2% transaction fee but I'm gooing with that for now.

1 Like
5 0 0

Many thanks Peter. I appreciate the feedback. I'll take a look at Stripe. Fingers crossed!

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hello Tristan,

I'm in the same boat as you where I'm located in Aust but customers are US based. Could you please let me know if you resolved your issue as suggested by Peter or do you have any other way around it?

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hello Tristan,

I'm in the same boat as you where I am located in Australia but my store's customer base is mainly the US. 

Did you have any luck using Peter's suggestion or do you have other way around it? 

Your assitance would be very much appreciated.

0 Likes
4 0 0

Hello Tristan,

I'm in the same boat as you where i am located in Aust but my online store's customer base would be mainly in the US.

How did you go with Peter's suggestion, any luck? Or do you have another way around it?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Likes