Unable to edit order with local delivery

Linda_Gentle
4 0 0

I am unable to edit orders for local delivery. I want to edit the order but it is telling me I can't edit an order with local delivery as the shipping method.

Why is that? I do not understand why I wouldn't be allowed to edit an order just because it was local delivery versus local pickup or standard shipping.

59E07C58-AEA5-4C7F-A68A-0D5A9E43F595.jpeg

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
877 83 116

Hey, @Linda_Gentle.

Elias here with Shopify Support. I'd be happy to lend a hand with this! 

While you can add or remove products, adjust quantities, or apply discounts to new or custom items that you add to the order; however, orders that have local delivery (eg. in-store pickup and local delivery) as the shipping method can't be changed once the order is finalized by the customer. Our guide on editing orders also suggests that shipping methods and rates are not recalculated when you edit an order, so if you swap or add items to the cart and the weight or dimensions of the order changes - You may also need to charge more for shipping.  

In order to change the shipping method on orders with local delivery or to recalculate/charge more for shipping, I'd recommend creating a draft order and refunding the original order. This way, you can send a new invoice to your customer, include the shipping costs, and they'll be able to pay for their new order. 

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Linda_Gentle
4 0 0
Hi Elias,

We do not have store pick up. All our orders with local delivery cannot be edited at all after the order has been made. We have had this issue since Shopify added local delIvery and have contacted them numerous times however they don’t seem to think this is an issue. We also have orders that are shipped out and we have no problem editing these.
0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
877 83 116

Hi, @Linda_Gentle.

Thank you for following up!

My apologies for the confusion and please allow me to clarify. The local delivery methods include both, local pickup and local delivery, both of which can't be changed once the order is finalized by the customer. Though editing orders with a regular shipping rate isn't a problem, our guide on editing orders does suggest that orders with in-store pick up can't be edited. While I can confirm this isn't a bug or a glitch, as in-store pickup and local delivery essentially stem from the same feature. However, creating a draft order would be the best solution for adding a shipping rate to these types of orders for the time being. 

I understand this isn't an ideal solution in your case and I'd be happy to share your feedback with our developers. 

If you have any other questions on this topic, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes