Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

Highlighted
2 0 0

This is the mail system at host smtp.shopify.com.
I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.
If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.
                   The mail system
<zng@vpcorp.com>: host mxbiz1.qq.com[163.177.89.176] said: 550
    Sender domain is a local domain.
    http://service.exmail.qq.com/cgi-bin/help?subtype=1&&id=20022&&no=1001568
    (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

The above is the content of the returned email. I used Tencent's corporate email and bound domain email. I can receive mail and send mail normally, but when I send mail in the shopify background, the mail is returned.Does anyone know what to do?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

Hey, @Aiden20!

In most cases, these emails are due to your domain needing specific SPF records. To fix this, you'll want to add a "txt" record with the value "v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all" - If you have a required SPF record, then you can merge the two like so "v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com include:otherdomain.com ~all" - Once you've made the changes, it can take up to 24 hours before they take effect; however, it should resolve your issue. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

@Peter 

Currently having this problem. Please help

SPF is set up and I can see it's working from our weekly DMARC report. Our DMARC policy is p=none. We are office365, hosted on 3rd party.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

@jdsfo 

Our support may be a bit limited given that you're using a third-party service to host your email, and given that you do have DMARC enabled which can block Shopify's attempt to spoof your email. Do you have more than on SPF record? Or do you have all SPF records merged into one?

Each domain may have only one SPF entry. If your domain contains more than one entry, recipient servers will decline both - this will cause your emails to fail SPF. If there is more than one SPF entry in the domain's DNS, remove ones that are not in use and/or merge existing ones into a single record. When merging make sure that your entry starts with "v=spf1" and ends with "~all" parameter.

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

@Peter 
I'll add some screenshots because I might be explaining myself wrong.

Here's our domain setup with shopify, though you aren't set up as the email host you do send emails on our behalf.

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 10.21.17 AM.png 

We have a single TXT SPF record with several lookups

v=spf1 [...] include:shops.shopify.com ~all

The DMARC policy is set to none, so it takes no actions on dkim and/or spf alignment failures. I can see from the reports that the SPF appears to be working in that shopify is allowed to send email using mydomain address, it's not aligning because the return path (shopify) doesn't match the from address (mydomain).  If we had a dmarc policy in place then all mail would be rejected. Currently only a subset are affected. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 10.22.09 AM.png

These are the messages we receive.

Message-ID: <5eb472e7f08d9_7a4f88671af@shopify.com>

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 10.20.14 AM.png

The header of the attachment doesn't provide much information to me, maybe more to you?

I don't know what else to do, and my current best guess is we're seeing dmarc failures on the shopify end. Shopify.com has a DMARC policy:

v=DMARC1; p=reject; pct=100; fo=1; rua=mailto:dmarc-aggregate@shopify.com;ruf=mailto:dmarc-reports@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

@jdsfo 

I've not come across a domain that has numerous SPF records, and given that all basic troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue have not worked, it is a bit outside my area of expertise. I've gone ahead and reached out to you via email to verify the store so I can escalate the issue up to our Technical Support. If you could reply to the email with the requested information, then we can get the ball rolling on soucing a solution. 

1 Like
Highlighted
5 0 0

Thanks Peter. Following up with them this week.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hey @Peter ! I'm with the same problem here. Could you help me?

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0
Our issue appears to be isolated to a particular receiving domain. Is that the same for you?
0 Likes