Unnatural Direct Traffic - Ghost spam or something worse????

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi all

I had a HUGE spike in direct traffic today from USA (I am based in UK), over 1200 direct visits from 4 main US locations, main one being Boardman which is a known source for spam as it is where AWS is located apparently. I freaked out, spoke to shopify support who told me of a few blocking apps. Installed 3, none of which stopped it. I have done all sorts of research on what the hell is going on and I came to the conclusion that as I could not block the visits, this must be ghost spam and it was just spurious data being posted to Google Analytics via AMP but this doesn't explain why it was appearing on my live view.

So if it is not ghost spam as I couldn't block the visits, what is it, why couldn't I block it and what the hell has it done and what should I worry about? I have seen mentions of scraping sites and DDos attacks, none of which mean much to me. All the documentation I have found has been about filtering this data out of GA but it refers to the now defunct hostname, service provider and IP address attributes which aren't stored in GA any more due to data protection! 

I have just started using google shopping via shopify and I don't know if the AI involved accesses GA, I am assuming not but I am struggling to understand the point of this bot and it seems a bit of a coincidence this has happened 2 weeks after starting my first google shopping campaign.

Any help gratefully received as although shopify were as helpful as possible, it wasn't the guy's area of expertise and although he did ask around, the only thing they came back with was the blocking apps which didn't work. I am no expert (obviously) and I am well aware of the dangers of google when you are stressing out!!

TIA

Kelly

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
19 3 7

It can be a scrapping bot, what your store is about? What kind of products I mean.

I need more information to tell you what might be going on.

It cannot be DDoS, because Shopify servers are very very hard to be DDoSed, and if someone do it, many stores will be affected, not just yours.

P.S: You can stop freaking out, its nothing serious. 

I am writing a book titled "Shopify Marketing like you are 5", it aims to make everything stupidly simple for beginners.

To write content for it, I need to know what your biggest struggle is when it comes to Shopify Marketing ( SEO , Google Ads , Facebook Ads).

If you answer "Whats your biggest Struggle with Shopify Marketing" then I will send you a free copy of the book when its published.
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi - thanks for your response. I sell craft fabric. I have a tiny number of pages that aren't product pages. I don't know what they would be scrapping for as there isn't much content other than products. Also, most of the product pages were hit on average 5 times each. As I said, however, the visits couldn't be blocked so it looks like somebody attacking my GA rather than the site itself, the only thing I can't fathom is why the stats appeared in shopify live view as well as GA. If it was just GA then I would say it was definitely a ghosting. My sales have declined over the weekend also. I haven't had a chance to look at my smart campaign and visitor stats yet. I am not sure that the google ads AI for smart campaigns uses google analytics, would you happen to know? I am guessing not as it wouldn't make sense but none of this is making much sense at the moment!! Thanks, Kelly

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
19 3 7

It can be a vulnerability scanner bot, they mindlessly go from site to site, trying to hack them.

They obviously couldnt hack yours ( hacking you would like hacking shopify, which is beyond the capability of these bots )

If you have used Google Shopping app to setup smart campaign then you are good.

GA may or may not be used by Google Smart Campaigns.

Whatever the case, this cant affect your Google Ads performance what so ever. You are fine :)

I am writing a book titled "Shopify Marketing like you are 5", it aims to make everything stupidly simple for beginners.

To write content for it, I need to know what your biggest struggle is when it comes to Shopify Marketing ( SEO , Google Ads , Facebook Ads).

If you answer "Whats your biggest Struggle with Shopify Marketing" then I will send you a free copy of the book when its published.
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Great, thanks for the reassurance. I am going to keep an eye on my backlinks to check that nobody is trying to do some negative SEO on me but my understanding is that that is usually done manually anyway. It is a pretty horrible thing when you don't know what is happening and why and whether you should be doing something to stop it!

Thanks for your response anyway, have a lovely day!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Happened to me today over a 4 hour period from a Linux based desktop in Boardman. Each page hit 4 times.

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 3
I had i similar thing recently that turned out to be a website called pexgle that collates your sales data with your website design and sells it to people who are looking for the next big thing / a competitive edge. I think shopify would go a long way putting off these attacks if they didn't make page hits and product sales available to users /bots that know what they're doing. This activity is corrupting real stats and making it hard to use the data shopify provides for analysis
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

I am experiencing this as well for couple of days.

It started from few Google Ads display campaigns where my budgets where drained in around 30 minutes.

To test my assumptions I have changed the syntax of the landing page link from campaign so whoever clicked the ad was landing on an 404 page and I recorded the behaviour in hotjar.

It came as no surprise to see countless records where bots from ad links were spending time on 404 pages with basic up/down movement and some random clicks, without trying to find anything on the website.

And Google support found things working as intended ... they are cashing in after all.

As for any website hosted by Shopify, IPs details are not provided, thus I find no alternative in dealing with click bots in Ads campaigns.

I stopped all Google Ads campaigns but I still have visits on those 404 pages, as it seems the bots are still using the old links from Ads campaigns.

Any solution would be highly appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

The same thing for me - every week there is about 2.5- 3k direct views coming from one place in the USA which shows up on Shopify analytics only.

can this affect my SEO?

it's really annoying and Shopify help suggested i use an app to protect myself which takes a percentage of each sale so that's not a possibility 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

did you receive any response on this yet? We are having issues with the same thing