What is the correct unsubscribe link for Shopify newsletters?

Roman89
Explorer
65 0 51

Hi all,

There are some topics about this but still not one where I can find the answer to the question which link to use to let people unsubscribe from your newsletter something like {{ unsubscribe }}. Ofcourse we all don't like people to unsubscribe, but as far as I know, this is mandatory in the Netherlands to add at the end of your emails to avoid claims.

Hopefully someone will clear this up! 😄 Enjoy your weekend!

Replies 14 (14)

lear
Excursionist
16 0 2

Hi Roman, 

I'm wondering about that as well. 

Which tool do you use to design and send your newsletter? 

Roman89
Explorer
65 0 51

I used klaviyo to set up my templates and a lot of things work well just this unsubscribe links doesn't work and you would think this is such a small easy answer but still no one can help... ?

I'm looking forward to shopify emails btw. hopefully it will be available in the Netherlands soon.

lear
Excursionist
16 0 2

I'm very upset with the subscribe/unsubscribe process for now, also for this reason (in case you haven't notice) : 

https://community.shopify.com/c/Technical-Q-A/quot-Keep-me-up-to-date-quot-button-at-checkout-doesn-...

I use Mailterlite, the unsubscribe link works but does not communicate the info to shopify so my "accept email marketing" list in Shopify is not updated.

Yes same for me, hope Shopify email will be as good as I except 😉

Good luck 🙂

Roman89
Explorer
65 0 51

I wonder why not one staff member from Shopify response to this?!

tsangyyfiona
Visitor
2 0 0

Yes, I just dropped in to this problem while I try to make an EDM for a simple promotion. I never think "Unsubscribe" issue could happen in Shopify......

uncorkedgourmet
6 0 0

Has anyone found a solution to this?  I'm sending one off emails to new prospects who have placed orders for samples in Shopify using the email customer link on their order.  I feel I need an unsubscribe link in this email, even though its one off email.  The following html that was cited earlier in this thread does not seem to be working?

<p class="disclaimer__subtext"><a href="{{ unsubscribe_url }}">Unsubscribe</a></p>

HDK
Shopify Partner
11 0 3

Hm. The liquid-variable {{ unsubscribe_url }} only seems to be usable in certain templates. When used in the abandoned cart reminder template it produces an URL like https://checkout.shopify.com/123/checkouts/123/unsubscribe?key=example-secret-token. unfortunatelly this seems to be quite useless if you want to send mails/newsletters outside of the shopify enviroment. There is neither a simple "Visit this Shopify-Page to unsubscribe" page you can link to nor a simple service URL you can connect a webhook to if the unsubscription is handled by the service you send your newsletter with to keep the data in sync, right?

_osamu_iwasaki_
Shopify Partner
185 47 193

{{ unsubscribe_url }} isn't working.
Hmmm...

RevitalashUK
Tourist
9 0 3

Did you ever receive an response to this? I asked a livechat guru who told me to pay a developer for the **bleep** tag!? What a joke. Do they even have unsubscribe liquid tags!? They then proceeded to ask me to make a forum post similar to this one and countless others ive seen with no answer?

Roman89
Explorer
65 0 51
No, still no answer. I just use klaviyo now because then you have the
option to let people unsubscribe for their lists.
Peter-B
Visitor
1 0 0

It's frankly weird that there's still no response, as it basically forces nervous clients to use a third party mailing solution or possibly break GDPR laws by relying on Shopify's.

I have a client that wants to send abandoned cart mails using Shopify's own system, but sans a unsubscribe button he's treading in legally murky waters. 
I did notice that in Shopify's own template, there's this snippet - is this what you're looking for?: 

<p class="disclaimer__subtext">
Don't want to receive cart reminders from us? <a href="{{ unsubscribe_url }}">Unsubscribe</a>
</p>

The {{ unsubscribe_url }} should do the trick, it's actually kinda worrying that  the Shopify support / gurus didn't mention this tag 

George_C
Trailblazer
155 1 145

Double-check the text and link colors for the footer. I used one of the Shopify templates, and they were coded so the text/link color for the footer was the same as the background, and even changing it to something that contrasted was not fixing the social media icon colors. 

Oddly, the shop name/address/copyright text colors were not affected. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.

Rbagwell502
Visitor
2 0 0

Unsubscribe link does NOT work. I've been going in circles for an hour. PLEASE HELP

Rbagwell502
Visitor
2 0 0

"Sorry, this shop is currently unavailable" is what i'm "contacting the better business bureau" in the United States. This is ridiculous