Unused Tags will not Delete

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

I created several tags when first opening my store.

I attempted to delete those tags as my overall store design took shape, and was surprised to see those tags still remain in my "filter" list when viewing my products in their catalog page.

I read several posts made my by several shopify users over the past 3 years, and they all seem to have the same problem.

I removed these tags from every product - yet the tags still persist in my filter dropdown.

How do I change this?

Thanks.

Dwayne

Knifesharpsurvival.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
338 0 54

Hi Dwayne,

I've run into this issuse myself - typically when they've been deleted from all products, the tags should be deleted. But often times they will linger. You need to be absolutely sure the tags have been removed from every single product associated with them, though.

I just flushed your storefront cache from my end - let me know if it works! :)

Alicia | Support Lead for Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello I am having the same issue.

I have removed all the unwanted tags from the products and still they are remaining. How long do they linger for? Is it supposed to be instant? Any help would be great thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I am experiencing this too, I imported my products via a CSV from my Etsy store and since tags are used differently on Etsy I am now stuck with hundreds of tags that make my collections pages just a giant mass of tags you have to scroll through to get to the product listings. I went through and deleted all the tags from each product, because I had read that unused tags will be purged but they are all still showing up.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
13 0 0

I am having the same issue. Did this ever work itself out?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 8

I'm having this issue as well. Can we get our cache flushed too?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 3

i find the problem is two fold and note shopify have falled silent

1) its incredibly laborious to search and find tags on each product to remove unless i am doing it incorrectly by bulk editing tags in products section

2) it doesnt work thus eliminating my much needed ability to use tags in for filtering in certain product sections

i am not a coder so its not even clear if this is possible but surely there needs to be an immedate solution. This is not a trivial matter but a major issue which i would hope gets a solution tomorrow if it doesnt exist.  But i expect the same was hoped from those posting a year ago

Mine is embarassing ,makes us look unprofessional,  where i made a typo on a rag  or did plurals and singular while llearning and they are alll there in their confusing glory  losing customer confidence , creating confusion and losing sales

Surely the cue must be taken from the major image management  progams like adobe lightroom or Aperture as i used in the past,  which allow keywords/tags to be independently managed,, selected for deletion and then  prpoviding a caution a s to the products its currently applied asking how we want to proceed, and then its GONE! so its not just that its not deisappearing, it seems like a remarkably laborious method to actually try to remove them 

I find shopify so remarkable at certain things and then so absent in "grand canyon" items with no way acrosss

( sorry I am know for my typos and cant go back to check grammar)

3 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

I am having the same issue. Did this ever work itself out?

I'd request a fix for this ! Or perhaps Shopify just want to make me switch to Magento...

www.glueckskind-shop.at

--> the very best fabric using superfine merino wool, mulberry silk and tencel for baby and kids clothing

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I would greatly appreciate assistance with this as well.  I have seen threads on this topic going back to 2007.  Seems crazy that this has been a known issue for 10 years and it's still not resolved.  In any case, I have removed all of my unwanted tags from my products and I'm ready to clear the unused tags from my site so they no longer show up.  

Please advise.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 7

Hello There. I had the same problem and I believe I just figured this out. If you've already done so I appologize but, maybe this will assist other.

Open your Shopify store...

Open up Products

Go to All Products.

and then Edit Products

And there it is...

Add Tags and Remove Tags.

and you can do it in bulk which is a lot more efficient.

That seemed to do it for me and I hope this helps everyone out.

7 Likes