Update: Automatic Discounts giving free product doesn't work *automatically*

4 0 0

Hi,

we tried to setup automatic discounts:

If a customer buys 1 specific article, he gets one other article for free.

We set up a test like shown in the screenshot, but when we test it, nothing happens in the cart or the checkout process.

no free item is added automatically. where could we start to debug this issue? Has anyone else successfully set this up?

PS: I just tried to see if the percentage discount is working, and it is. It just seems the "free article" is never

applied to the cart/checkout... :/

UPDATE: I just found out, that the customer has to put the free product and the product which grants a free product in his cart :/ is there no way to automatically *add* the product without an extra app?

autodiscount.pngAutomatic Discounts Setup

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2489 171 375

Hi @waldo,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Would you be able to share your store URL so I can look into and test this out also, please? It would be hugely helpful for troubleshooting this. 

Ah, I see what you mean from your update. The customer must add both products to their cart where the discount will apply then and not add the second product at the cart aspect of the process. I looked into this for you and can see in the help guide Shopify has about this here, it seems like both products must be added to the cart for the customer to avail of the discount. 

What I will do is add this as a feature request on your behalf to our development team for the future. I can see how this could benefit and make the process easier for your customers. In the meantime, you could create a page or make an announcement bar with these details to let your customers know. By creating a page and explaining this, it would be somewhere the customers can see and know this before making their purchase. Also as you mentioned you could look into using an app to add the feature. One app which I found that is good for this is Ultimate Special Offers where when a customer selects a product with this discount a popup will appear and allow customers to choose their own reward/ product for this. 

I hope this helps. If there is any other information you can share about this which you would like me to add to the feature request, please reply and let me know. The more information and details about how this can help you, your business, your customers are greatly appreciated and helps the development team with more context. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
4 0 0

Thanks for the reply @Nick ,

I'm working on a javascript based solution for the cart to add the free product automatically, which checks if a product does fit to this event and add the correspinding free product via ajax. It looks quite promising, but it would be a great feature if there was an option to do this automatically. Looking forward to the feature. As simple as if customer buys product X, the free product Y is automatically added to the cart.

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2489 171 375

No problem at all @waldo.

Oh very good. Javascript and ajax is beyond my skill level personally. Thanks for the clarification, I'll add that to the feature request. I can't make any guarantees or even know if this will happen, but I will certainly let the team know this information.  

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
I am also requesting this as a feature addition. Having the rule move the free item to the cart automatically would be great, and make a lot of sense. No issues with how it works otherwise, it would be great if it took the next and obvious step.

Thanks!
0 Likes