Why do I need to update personal details on Shopify?

Hadi99
Visitor
1 0 7

Hello,

I am getting the following message when I log in to my admin page

"To continue receiving payouts, you need to update your name in order to verify your identity."

With a button next to it that says "Update personal details"

When I click the button it takes me to a page where I can update my name.

My name has not changed so I don't know how to fix this problem.

Any insight on this would be much appreciated, thank you!

Hadi

Replies 36 (36)

Joao_Pedro_dos_
Tourist
6 0 11

I'm also getting the same notification.

It doesn't make any sense. What's going on Shopify?

StevenC
Shopify Partner
4 0 5

Just got the same message in the admin page. With the button that takes me to page to update my name.

"Your name did not match the photo id submitted. To continue receiving payouts, update your name to match the credentials of the photo ID."

I was never asked to submit any form of ID/Documents before hand and store has been open for over a year now, without any issues. So I am not quite sure how my name doesn't match something I never submitted.

BryS
Visitor
1 0 3

I'm getting the same error message. I've never given them a photo ID so no clue what's going on. Pretty creepy.

FUD2018
Tourist
4 0 5

We received the exact same message about an hour ago and have just been chatting with a guru who has contacted the Payments Team to look into it.

Since everyone seems to have received this message on their dashboard/admin pages around the same time tonight, we are really hoping it's an error or a bug of some kind.

Here's hoping- let's keep each other updated on this one!!

Leigh

Funky Upbeat Designs

thatcraftplace
Visitor
1 0 4

getting the same message here

xenani
Visitor
1 0 5

I'm getting the same message. I contacted support, but the guy was largely clueless. He said they're looking into it of course, but he didn't even know that this was a recurring issue with multiple people right now. 

I've been operating for years on shopify without an issue with "identity" on any of my 3 stores. I'm wondering if this is an issue with more successful established stores, because my newer shop has not been hit with this error, only my two more successful and established stores have been struct with this scary threatening banner. Coincidence? 

Hopefully it's resolved soon, and no action is actually required on our end. 

HM14
Visitor
1 0 1

I'm in the same boat. I do not recall ever uploading my ID, and now it is telling me my name does not match my photo ID? 

AlexSekulic
Tourist
3 0 2

I’m experiencing the same issue here! I was so scared and couldn’t find a solution to make the message go away. It must be a bug because they Shopify admin has been crashing and under a lot of construction the past few days. Hopefully this gets resolved!

safwitherspoon
Visitor
1 0 1

HAS to be a bug because the message popped up two hours but i still got my payout in transit email which contradicts the entire message...

MountRichon
Tourist
6 0 0

Same on my site, getting the same message. So confused as my Name has not changed???

MountRichon
Tourist
6 0 0

How did you contact support? I don't know how too. Is there a link or email? I have searched to no avail.

FUD2018
Tourist
4 0 5

So after chatting online with a guru last night, when I received that disturbing message, the guru sent this to the Shopify Risk Operations Team.

I received an additional email from the same guru with the following information:

Thank you for recently reaching out to our Support Team. This message is to confirm that your issue has been successfully escalated to Shopify's Risk Operations Team.

All escalations are reviewed and an Analyst will reach out to you in the next 48-72 hours.

Please note that Shopify’s Risk Operations Team is operational Monday to Friday.

We’d like to thank you for your patience during this time and we would like to assure you that your ticket will be treated as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Shopify’s Risk Operations Team

This is pretty concerning and why the heck now?? We have been on Shopify since the beginning of 2020 and have never uploaded photo ID- they also have access to our banking information with our names on it, so fingers crossed this was just a complete inconvenience for all of us.

Have a great day all!!

Leigh

StevenC
Shopify Partner
4 0 5

The warning is no longer showing up in my admin page.

Maybe a fix to this issue/bug is slowly being rolled out.

PWJ
Tourist
9 2 5

The warning briefly disappeared from my admin page. Now instead I have "Documentation needed to verify your Shopify Payments account details. We need to verify your government-issued ID and business documents to resume your payouts. We will process the documents within 3 business days, and your ability to make sales is not affected." with an upload documents button.

I also received an email from the Risk Operations team that had my chat log attached regarding the update name issue but they referenced a completely different Shopify site that they want id documentation for that has nothing to do me.

nadiahart
Visitor
2 0 2

That error disappeared from my admin page. It turns out it was just a glitch. Here's the response I got from my message:

nadiahart_0-1601706559051.png

Hope this helps! And hope everyone's admin page is back to normal now.

FUD2018
Tourist
4 0 5

Good morning,

Ours notice is still showing up this morning and we also received the following email from the Risk Operations Team last night:

Hi there,

Liam here from Shopify Risk Operations team and I hope you're doing great.

We had to reach out to our existing Shopify Payments merchants to ask them if they are a sole proprietor, partnership or a corporation and to update their account information. This is to ensure that Shopify is compliant with Know Your Customer regulations.

KYC is a process where banks obtain information about the identity and address of their customers. This process helps to ensure that services are not misused. Also the KYC procedure is to be completed by businesses while opening accounts.

This has affected number of merchants using our platform as they haven't provided sufficient and requested data while setting up their Shopify Payments account.

Hence we have also reached out to you to provide us with your photo ID which we do not have on file.

Now, since the name on your Shopify Payments account has 2 people, we require that one person is representative on Shopify Payments account. Therefore, you would need to decide who would that person be, and provide us with that persons photo ID.

As you are in Canada, acceptable forms of identification are:

• Passport
  • Driver's license — scans of front and back are required
  • Certificate of Indian Status card
  • Permanent resident card
  • Identity card — scans of front and back are required
  • Non-driver photo ID
  • Photo card

Please note, that photo ID needs to be securely uploaded through your Shopify admin, there is banner requesting this information already.

I hope this information helps to fully comprehend what has happened.

Kind regards and have a great weekend,
Liam

So sadly not sure if this is a glitch or not but it has us concerned and completely furious with absolutely no notice from Shopify whatsoever. We are now looking at switching our website completely to another provider as the way this has been handled has been totally unprofessional.

Leigh

Ghaelle
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi there 

Have you been able to fix this issue as mine is still there. I’ve upload my ID but then say it doesn’t match. I’m trying to contact support team but every time I click on get support it keep telling me to log in which I’m already am. 

FUD2018
Tourist
4 0 5

Hi there,

No we never got this resolved and closed our shop with Shopify completely because of it. We switched to another provider and are very happy- no random ID requests either.

Hope you get your issue resolved- very frustrating and infuriating!!

AlexSekulic
Tourist
3 0 2
Hi, if was a problem on Shopify’s end and actually went away the next day.
If you’ve already put your ID in settings before, I would just ignore the
message if it’s still showing. I’m surprised it hasn’t gone away yet.
HLO
13 0 0

Hey,

It appeared to be a glitch. The error message disappeared the next day.

RoseStraya
Tourist
8 0 3

I did submitted my driver license and now it says "A document you submitted isn’t valid. To continue using Shopify Payments, resubmit your photo ID in order to verify your identity." then when I click submit document, I get "The ID number on the document you submitted does not match the ID number on your account. Please submit a document with the same ID number, or update the ID number on your account." I don't want to submit new document because I am now not feel comfortable with this and I also don't know what ID number they have on my account so, I try to find the way to update my ID number, but I could not find it. Anyone has any idea where I can update my ID number or how can I contact Shopify support?

My money is hold from payout for about a week now and this morning I received email from Shopify, say my bank rejected my payout (never had problem before, using Shopify for more than 2 years).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RoseStraya
Tourist
8 0 3

Just to update, I found how to contact them here: https://help.shopify.com/en/questions#/contact

MountRichon
Tourist
6 0 0
Thanks

spasterfield
Tourist
5 0 13

Hi, I have been using Shopify since 2017 and have never had an issue with payments, but today I receive a banner on my store that says 'To continue receiving payouts, you need to update your name in order to verify your identity.'

When I click on 'Update Personal Details' it takes me to a textbox with the correct name... meaning I have already entered the correct name years ago.

In addition I am unable to find anywhere on entire website or phone app to change my name, or to upload a photo ID.

Is this an error with Shopify? It seems very odd that all of a sudden everyone has had their payments paused.

Thankyou

Bonnie2020
Visitor
1 0 3

Getting the same message. Thought it was because I linked my PayPal to the account last night, but now see several people have the same issue. This is the message

To continue receiving payouts, you need to update your name in order to verify your identity.

xoxomyko
Visitor
1 0 1

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

XOXO Myko

HLO
13 0 0

I am getting the same message and clicked on the button to update. The information that was asked for me to verify was nothing new. So I clicked on the button. I immediately got an email to say that I've change my payment setting...Hope everything is status quo. How do I reached out to a Shopify Support?

Allyhatibu16
Visitor
2 0 0

Tpp 

ShannonV
Visitor
1 0 0

Not being weird but I am glad it isn't just me!

It wouldn't be weird for me seeing this message as my drivers license and passport DO have different names but I don't remember submitting ID either....weird

TheBananaBasket
Tourist
3 0 3

Same message here!

Hakura
Visitor
1 0 0

I am also getting this same message. I've never uploaded any ID so I'm not sure what this is about. However seeing that I am not the only one with this issue give me hope that it may just be a bug.

francis11
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm also receiving the same error message - Shopify what's going on?

nadiahart
Visitor
2 0 2

Just checked my online store and received the same notification.

nadiahart_0-1601622473777.png

The button takes me to a page where it asks me to update my name because apparently my name doesn't match the photo ID. Which is weird coz I don't remember sending out a photo ID?

And it looks like I'm not the only one with this issue.

I sent an email to support, but those usually take a day or two. Has anyone had any luck finding answers? And will this result in the shop getting shut down or not being able to receive payouts at all?

AlexMB12
Visitor
1 0 0

Hit with the same here too! Be nice if someone from shopify could jump in and tell us all what's going on

sg-oasis
Visitor
1 0 1

Wow, I thought I am the only one... Seems like everyone is having this problem. 

The funny thing is, I have no problem in my whole life which is the first and last name, until Shopify told me I am wrong, 😂

KBASS
Visitor
1 0 0

STILL A PROBLEM.....