Updating Variant Price via CSV import... How can I do this?

Angela_Hardiman
Excursionist
40 0 42

I need to update variant price and the compare at price on the products we are selling in bulk via CSV file.  I get updates on pricing, etc just about every month.  I don't want to change anything else.  How can I import just the new product price without changing anything else. I don't want an app. Can I just import a file with the Variant SKU and the new Variant Price and the new Compare at Price?  If I override will it eliminate all of the other information?

I don't have time to update each individual price as it takes way too much time.  There are tens of thousands of products.

Visely-Team
Shopify Partner
1837 210 420

Unfortunately, you cannot do that using Shopify out of the box features, unless you are running on Shopify Plus and can use - https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/sell-online/wholesale/channel/price-lists-customers/import-prices

Sergiu Svinarciuc | CTO @ visely.io
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog
0 Likes
Angela_Hardiman
Excursionist
40 0 42

How the heck are we supposed to update prices when we have files with thousands of products?  It will literally take weeks just to update one file.  This should be a given especially with trade fluctuations the way they are right now.  Shopify Plus cost a fortune doesn't it?

Visely-Team
Shopify Partner
1837 210 420

Hey Angela,

There are cheaper alternatives like using a third party app, especially if this is something you are often required to handle the fee you pay definitely pays back.

Sergiu Svinarciuc | CTO @ visely.io
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog
danielpretorius
Shopify Partner
97 0 8

Hi @Angela_Hardiman 

Instead of spending time to figure this out with CSVs, take a look at managing your store's data with Airtable. You can modify any data that way in a nice, bulk format. When it comes to prices you can change them in bulk to a specific number, or use a formula to set based on a percent increase/decrease or any other logic you want (e.g., if fewer than 10 items in stock, increase price by 30%). Check out our overview of how to bulk change Shopify product prices with Airtable 

rmanke
Shopify Partner
140 0 32

Shopify lets you selectively import only pricing changes.  You don't need an app to do that.

Just select your sheet with your "handle" "title" and "price" columns, and Shopify will only import those columns.  Be sure to select "replace" when you import, otherwise you may duplicate your products.

Shopify expert, software developer and designer.
StepUP_Stair
3 0 0

Do you need to always include the Title Column in the import when changing pricing; can it just be the handle column?

If I DO NEED the Title Column in the "re-import" of pricing; can I sort the SKU columns by "ABC/123"?  This WILL change the other columns order from Shopify export and leave the Title Column not as before.  I can't get the sort back to the original way it was exported from Shopify; there is no rhyme to how it is sorted when exported from Shopify.  

0 Likes
rmanke
Shopify Partner
140 0 32

I don't think you need the title column, but the best thing to do is always export your inventory before you make any batch changes, so you can revert back if there is an issue.

Yes, you can change the order of the columns if you aren't changing the variants.  If you ARE changing the variants, you will have to keep everything in the same order - and you will have to keep those columns as well.  This is because the variants are identified through the Options columns, and not all row data is populated for variants.  (for instance, the description is only on the main product, not the variants).

If you are using variants and the variants aren't in the import file, Shopify won't know which variant to modify, and you will have errors or a bad import.

OPTION: You can use the Import Store app (by Shopify) to assist when doing imports.  It allows you to do backups and revert an import.  (Although I haven't used it much).

Does that make sense?

Shopify expert, software developer and designer.
StepUP_Stair
3 0 0

It certainly does; will try and thanks much! 

0 Likes
StepUP_Stair
3 0 0

I tried this Without the Title column and then added the Title ONLY for the main product; as typical.  Unfortunately it doesn't work. 

Fortunately I have used Hextom Bulk Product Edit which allowed me to have both the product and variant ID so I could sort CSV files by the SKU to input the cost, price and compare at pricing data easily for almost 10,000 items.

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes