Upload Custom Sitemap XML

Highlighted

@Biggaz1979 in order for this to work, you need two separate XML sitemap URLs. For example... mystore.com/sitemap.xml + mystore.com/old_magento_sitemap.xml. The latter is the one we're concerned with here (the former is created automatically by Shopify). Can you provide this URL?

It could be that your redirect isn't configured properly. Does yours look something like this?

second sitemap redirect screenshot.jpg

Once your redirect is working properly, you should be have two individual sitemaps, each at its own unique URL. At that point, you should be able to submit both file paths within the same Google Search Property like this...

double sitemap submission in GSC.jpg

Hope this helps!

1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 0
@KevinW this is the new url to the uploaded file https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0037/6422/4049/files/sitemap.xml?11209

I used the create redirect feature on shopify to create it as per the article.
0 Likes

@Biggaz1979 unless I'm missing something, it looks like the filename of this one is also sitemap.xml. That won't work because the one Shopify automatically creates for you already lives at mystore.com/sitemap.xml. You need to give the one your created with Free Online Sitemap Generator a separate filename, re-upload it to the server, and update your redirect accordingly. 

Perhaps more importantly, why are you submitting this extra sitemap to begin with? I did a quick check and it looks like many of the URLs in this new sitemap already exist on your live site. Unless you're doing a site move/migration with URL changes, you don't need to create an XML sitemap. Shopify does this automatically. Apologies if I'm missing something here. I just want to make sure you don't waste your time. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

@KevinW Thanks for your help- I'm stuck at one part though. When you upload the XML file, its URL starts with cdn.shoipfy.com and then ends with some numbers after /sitemap in the middle somewhere. In order to upload another sitemap to Google Search Console, you need to upload lenkersdorfer.com/some link. How do you turn your XML file link into something you can upload to Google? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 3.01.57 PM.png

1 Like
Highlighted

You're almost there @annakizzzm ! The URL redirect is the missing piece here. If you create a redirect from a fake URL on your domain (i.e. lenkersdorfer.com/old-sitemap.xml) to the cdn.shopify.com URL, you can then submit the fake URL in Google Search Console and they'll follow the redirect. Does this make sense?

NOTE:  Before you submit the fake URL to Google, test it by typing it into your address bar and confirming that it successfully redirects you to the cdn.shopify.com file. If it does, all you need to do is add "old-sitemap.xml" right where it says Enter sitemap URL

Let us know how it goes! 

0 Likes