Uploading products as CSV with same name?

charlest4
Tourist
14 0 1

Hi all,

I am building a store for a company with 10,000+ products. Some of these products have very simple names such as 'bolt' but have their own unique SKU number. Whenever I go to upload CSVs of products a huge amount get missed out because they have the same name.

Is there a way to change these names or get Shopify to add '-1', '-2' etc. at the end of the handle?

Thanks in advance,

Charles

0 Likes
Trevor
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2587 341 527

@charlest4 

The Shopify system is not set up to rename files on your behalf if there are duplicates. When importing a CSV file, the system will utilize the handle name in order to determine if a product is different from another. You would need to update each product to include a unique handle, which may be possible with the search and find feature in a spreadsheet program; however, I'm not 100% certain about that. 

Keep in mind that the handle for each product will be the designated URL (domain.com/products/product-handle). 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

tariqul12012
Tourist
7 0 3

You can add the sku with products title so the handle will be unique but one think for variation products the handle should be same for all rows.. So every products will be import