Use Paypal but not Paypal Express

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello,

I want to accept Paypal, but not use the Paypal Express button that shows on the checkout page. 

If the customer goes to the payment method page, then the regular "Paypal" option is shown under the CC form-- so they can use Paypal to pay. 

Can I keep that but not have the big yellow express button on the checkout page? I think this is confusing the customers and think that PP is the only payment method

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
542 63 129

Hey, @alfynerd 

For me to take a closer look, I'll need to verify the store so I can access the account. To do so, could you reply to the email that I sent your way (the one associated with your forums account).

Before proceeding, one thing to consider is that Express Checkout options, like PayPal, often convert at a higher rate than regular checkout, and help increase customer trust in the site as a recognizable payment provider. According to the Baymard Institute, 26 percent of US online shoppers have abandoned an order in the past quarter solely due to a ‘too long/complicated checkout process’. Check out our blog post here for more information.

If you would still like to remove the PayPal buttons from cart/checkout, our Theme Support team can review the request as part of your Design Time. As each theme is coded differently, they need to confirm whether it can be successfully removed for you, and will be in touch with you directly by email with more information after we get you authenticated in that email.

If anyone else would like assistance with this, just a gentle reminder that we can only help remove the Paypal button for Shopify made themes. More info can be found here in regards to Shopify's Design Time. If you are using a third-party theme, please contact your theme developer directly for assistance.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

I agree.  My impression and feedback from many customers is that the way that ShopPay, GooglePay, Apple Pay, and PayPal show up *before* the Checkout page is confusing for customers who think those are their only options for payment.  It should just be a checkout button period, then at the Checkout page, those options could be at the top of the page offered as an alternative, with wording like, "Express Checkout options *or* Continue to regular checkout'. 

Or if they have to stay on the Cart page, then maybe introduce wording like, 'Express Checkout options' there, and have the Checkout button say, 'Proceed to regular Checkout'.....?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Dirk, I'd also want to remove the express Paypal button but not Paypal as a payment option. Can you help me with that? Thank you

0 Likes