Using CSV import to Update Tags in BULK

Tourist
4 1 0

I want to use CSV import to update product TAGS in bulk for many of my products, but don't need to change or update any of the variants.

If I remove all rows for variants, just leaving the main product row containing the TAGS, will this in any way affect the product variants?

Also, what columns do I need at a minimum to do this? Do I need ALL the columns or just a required few (and which ones)?

I don't want to mess things up by not knowing how Shopify handles import of CSV files.

My thinking is the less the better for speed of import, etc., just keeping the minimum required structure for it to work correctly.

Many Thanks!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
148 2 7

Hi

The key thing to remember is if you leave a column in your csv import (even if it is blank) then that data will be overwritten. So in your scenario you would need to make sure you remove the option columns as if you leave them in but remove the variant rows then the variants will be deleted leaving only a simple product with your new tags.

Try a test with one product and drop all your columns except handle and tags then remove variant rows.

Regards

Tom

Over 16 years experience in operating ecommerce businesses.
DM me on here or via message at Channelup
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
1093 88 244

If you can update them based on rules (example, update all tags for products in collection X), then you can use a free app called Bulk Edit Tags. Then you don't have to deal with the risks of CSV uploads.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts, theme customization, custom app development).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders and customers + auto fulfill orders + email notifications).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app) and Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
0 Likes