Using Shopify for all Orders

1 0 0

Hi,

I'm new to the Community Forum and our company is a Shopify user for approx 9 months.

We use Retail Express as our Back End.

Currently only the true "on line" orders from our new website are seen in Shopify as we manually put other Customer orders ( received by phone etc) into Retail Express.

What are the Key advantages in using Shopify for ALL order input?

I assume things like Shipping, Full data visibility with Shopify for all Orders may be some good points.

Does anyone have a clear vision on this we can use to discuss with other staff members who are unsure of the Retail Express/Shopify attributes.

Thanks

Alan

used to doing things in aatil express. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
229 28 33

Hey there, @AlanAlan!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Welcome, and thanks for posting! I understand you're interested in learning more about selling in person with Shopify, and I'd be happy to see how I might be able to offer some insight to assist your team in deciding what's most suitable for your business.

The biggest advantage would be that all of your orders would have a single operating 'hub'. It can become a lot to handle two separate systems for orders and it may be more work when it comes filing your taxes during tax season. I'm unsure if there are any fees associated with using Retail Express, but if there are you'd also be saving some money with our Point of Sale (POS) system. You'll be able use the same payment provider that you use for your online store. If you're eligible for Shopify Payments, this also means that you won't be charged transaction fees. See our plan pricing chart for a breakdown of Shopify Payments rates as well as the additional transaction rates applied to external payment gateway transactions. 

The App

The Shopify POS app is available for free on iOS here and for Android here. If you already have a Shopify store, you can simply download the app on a supported device and version and login with your existing Shopify store information. You can find the Shopify POS app requirements in this guideWith this app you can accept credit card payments on all monthly plans with a supported card reader. If you wanted to add additional retail hardware, you'd need to ensure that you're on the Shopify plan ($79/month USD) or higher.

Hardware

Our hardware stores are only available in Canada, United States, United Kingdom and Ireland at this time. If your business is located outside of these four countries, you can look at using an external card reader. You can also purchase individual components from other vendors. You can take a look at these guides to outline how much it will cost you to switch over to our POS system.

If you don't purchase hardware - such as a barcode scanner - then, you would be able to either manually search and add products to the cart, or use the barcode scanner (if you have barcodes on your products) from within the app.

Inventory management

If you stock your online and retail products at different location addresses, then you can setup a second location for your POS products. Otherwise, all orders will deduct inventory from the same location. If all your products are already pulled from the same stock, then this will help ensure your also don't oversell. I'm unsure whether Retail Express integrates with Shopify's inventory, but if not then you could be at risk of selling out of your products in person with your online store levels not updated. An online customer could essentially submit an order for a product which you've already run out of. Again - this ultimately depends on how you're already currently stocking your product inventory.

I'm not too sure how Shipping might be a benefit to your business if you're selling in person, unless you also ship products to your in person customers. If that is the case, then yes it would be a much more simplified process to unify your operating system. You'd just want to confirm that you've set the order to unfulfilled before accepting payment. Once a POS order is put through, the fulfillment status cannot be changed from fulfilled to unfulfilled. You can also turn off all automatic fulfillment for your POS orders by following the steps in this guide.

Analytics + Business Decisions

Another great point which you mentioned is full data visibility. Right now, you're only able to see the analytics for your online orders. With full information at a glance, it'll be a lot easier to make business decisions such as the kind of marketing needed or what kind of discounts you should offer. Because you can also create customer accounts through the POS system (which would be added to the Customers tab of your Shopify Admin), this additional information gives you an opportunity to improve your customer retention. For example, you can add them onto your email marketing campaign lists and entice them to come back (online or in person) by offering them discounts. You'll be able to keep track of all the customer's orders from their profile regardless of the channel they purchased through. At the end of the day, customer retention is a far more effective approach to growing your business than searching for new customers constantly. Building your trust and loyalty with a customer can improve reviews, as well as bring you new customers through word of mouth. No amount of marketing can buy the loyalty that customer retention brings.

In addition to the Selling in person  guide, I also recommend checking out our Shopify POS FAQ for more information. I understand there's quite a bit of information here, so please let me know if there's anything I can clarify!

Cheers.

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes