Using Shopify to sell merch on my blog

Solved
4 0 0

I've been googling for hours to find answers to my very simple questions but I'm not getting anywhere so this is my last resort!  

I have a website/blog and want to start selling physical products.  I just started my shopify trial.  How to I connect the two?  

Option 1:  On my website I can add a button on the top navigation that says "shop".  Then when someone clicks on that they are then brought to my shopify page- i.e., they are no longer on my website.  Is that how everyone does it?  Is the following steps what would happen?

1. Customer goes to mywebsite.com
  2. Click "shop" button on the home page
  3. Customer is now on mywebsite.myshopify.com (no longer on my website, but rather on shopify)
  4. Customer can now browse and shop my products on my shopify page

Option 2:  On my website I can add a button on the top navigation that says "shop".  Then when someone clicks on that they are brought to shop.mywebsite.com which is actually my shopify page but the customer wouldn't know that because the URL wouldn't say shop.myshopify.mywebsite.com.  Does this exist as an option?  If so, is that another website/domain I need to purchase from my host (shop.mywebsite.com)?  It can't be a page because I thought pages were mywebsite.com/shop

Option 3: I've been reading about buy buttons but this will not work.  At least I don't think it will.  I'd have to build a store on my website and add in a bunch of buy buttons which would take so much work and if I'm paying $30/month for shopify why would I do this?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
931 96 157

Hey @!

Cal here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are trying to add your Shopify domain to the navigation of your existing blog website. That sounds like a good idea! What platform are you using to host your blog on? Also, who is your domain host? 

I think a healthy mix of both is the best option. Place a direct link to your store in your website navigation, as you have mentioned, and have Buy Buttons embedded in articles/pages where you may want to redirect your audience to purchase a specific product. Creating Buy Buttons for your key products that you are promoting is easier than you may think, we have a great guide here on this

I like the idea of using a subdomain (like shop.yourwebsite.com) in order to achieve consistent branding. If you reach out to your domain host support they may be able to assist with getting that set up in your domain host dashboard. 

Let me know your thoughts! 

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

4 0 0

Thanks Cal!  Your response made sense to my beginner brain and you actually answered my question I'm using Wordpress and my hosting is through Websavers.

So if I had a subdomain created by my host (shop.mywebsite.com), how would I then make that page be my Shopify shop?  I'd google that but I don't know the correct verbiage to use!

I'll also employ the use of Buy Buttons in posts so thanks for that guide link.

Lee-Anne

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
931 96 157

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @leeanne, not sure what happened with your replies there! 

Ok, so this is where it gets tricky, and why I recommend getting some assistance from your domain host to help set this up. What you'd need to do is have the subdomain CNAME record point at Shopify. The CNAME records are: 

• shops.myshopify.com

We have a step-by-step guide on connecting a subdomain to our service here. Once it is pointing toward your Shopify store, and you add the records in your domain dashboard, you can connect the domain on the Shopify side. 

Once you share that above step-by-step guide, your domain host should know exactly what you're trying to do! I hope this helps. 

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes