Using a 3rd party Theme OUTSIDE of the Shopify Theme Store - is it Really Against The Rules!?

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 3

I read in a couple of places online that it is actually against the rules of Shopify to use a paid, 3rd party theme that is OUTSIDE of the Shopify Theme Store.

I was very interested in buying the "Ecom Turbo" theme (the unlimited license version) that lets you install it on as many stores as you want.

But then I started reading that using any theme that doesn't come directly from the inhouse Shopify Theme Store is against their rules?

Is this really true? That would be a real shame  :(

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
501 42 109

Hi, @mattb348!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Great question! While the majority of merchants choose themes from the Shopify Theme Store, you can use any theme you like, as long as it's built using Liquid code, the only template language that's compatible with Shopify. 

If you've already downloaded a theme from a third-party provider, then you can simply upload the theme file to Shopify from your computer. However, before using a theme from a third-party, it's important to understand the level of support the developers offer, as Shopify will not be able to provide support for third-party themes. In this case, you will need to reach out to the developers directly for any assistance. It's also worth noting that because these themes are external to Shopify and not vetted by our team, there can be risks associated with downloading themes from outside sources. For that reason, it's always a good idea to check out reviews prior to installing it. 

Is there a reason why you're wanting to use a theme outside the Shopify Theme Store? What do you like most about the Turbo theme? 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 3

Hi Julie. Thank you for the response.

The main reason why I wanted to use a theme outside of the Shopify theme store was because you can use them for multiple stores.

I couldn't believe it when I paid $180 for the "Showtime" Theme from the Shopify theme store, only to find out I was only able to use it on ONE store.

I plan to build many more than just one Shopify store.

I just can't fathom having to pay a good chunk of change for EVERY new Shopify store that I create, just to use a paid theme.

However, I emailed the creators of the Ecom Turbo theme, about a week ago, and I never even heard back. So that alone is enough to make me NOT want to buy their theme (which I think was around $150.)

Guess it is just a lose-lose situation. Maybe I'll just have to go with free Shopify themes; I can't believe how expensive One-Time-Use / One Store use themes are  :(

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi this may be a weird question, hopefully I get a response, Im about to buy a theme from a third party company is there anyway for me to contact someone regarding the coding I just want to make sure in the end Im not being scammed, he has showed me past sights, some other things and it looks amazing, he has been super communicative and helpful, i just dont want what i worked so hard for to be taken away or scammed or something, he is in another country, but i loveeee the theme so much

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
501 42 109

Hi, @papergardenusa!

I'm glad to hear that you're doing some due diligence prior to purchasing a theme. While the majority of merchants choose themes from the Shopify Theme Store, you can use any theme you like as long as it's built using Liquid code, the only template language that's compatible with Shopify. 

Because Shopify does not provide support for third-party themes, it's very important to understand the level of support the developers offer before you decide to purchase their theme. It's also worth noting that because this theme is external to Shopify and not vetted by our team, there can be risks associated with downloading themes from outside sources. For that reason, it's always a good idea to check out reviews prior to choosing a theme

Is there a reason why you're wanting to use a theme outside the Shopify Theme Store? What kind of features are you looking for in a theme? 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes