VAT Number

Highlighted
1 0 4

We are a Danish (EU) located shop and we must use the following model for VAT charging:

Customers from Denmark with and without VAT number = charge VAT
Customers from EU contries with VAT number = No VAT charge
Customers from EU contries without VAT number = charge VAT
Non-EU customers = No VAT charge if Custom Declaration is provided

I have introduced the VAT number in the "Billing Address" and in email.

Highlighted
6 0 0

Identical the same thing for Belgium. I suppose only the VAT rate for Denmark and Belgium is different. 

Do you care to share how you configured Shopify in detail?

1/ Did you include the VAT in all your prices automatically? (with the check box in the backend) And if so, how do you handle worldwide non-European customers? Which technique did you use to offer them the price without VAT included?

2/ How did you introduce the VAT number in the "Billing Address" and in Email?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

Hi

I'm new to shopify (getting my site ready for launch). I am established in the UK for VAT purposes; it's a B2B site and I will be selling to the UK, other EU countries and the rest of world.

What solution did you find to your VAT problem, or did you just bail form shopify and use a different facility??

Regards - and thanks for your response in advance

Graeme

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 3

Hi

I am also just about to launch at have the exact same problem here i Denmark. Also a b2b site. I would also be very interested in this solving this. I have search the web for many hours for a solution without any luck.

Regards 
Michael 

Tourist
10 0 1

@Michael: I feel your pain! If I come up with anything, I'll post it here for sure.

Regards

Graeme

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
5711 0 150

Anything you do here will be a hack. One suggestion I can make is by simply gather this in the cart as an order attribute (that's the sort of thing they are there for), or create a cart translation and either combine the first/last name field and make last name the slot for VAT# or if you don't use address2 use that slot for the VAT#.

To make a cart translation go to your admin and click on preferences. Under standards and formats you will see the very last dropdown says 'checkout' language. Click this and scroll to the very last option 'create new translation'. You will be presented with a long list of everything that can be overridden. Make changes to just what you need. Save it. Then go back to prefs and choose the translation you just made from the dropdown.

http://shopifyplus.com ::: http://twitter.com/bacchus
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

@Jamie: Thanks for the ideas. With the order attribute solution, I understand how I could capture the VAT number from the cart. 

Question: how and where would I set up the logic to decide whether VAT is added and what amount of VAT should be added?

And finally, how do I pass that info onto my payment service provider?!?

I'm very new to all this and I have yet to sign up to my PSP (likely to be Sage Pay) so I can't see where this would happen.

Thanks again

Graeme

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

We have a UK B2B site and are dealing with many of the same issues. We do not include VAT in the prices. The big problem is the way that Shopify decides to charge VAT. The billing address determines whether VAT is charged, but Shopify uses the shipping address to determine VAT eligibility. It's a huge problem for us and Shopify hasn't come back with a solution.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Oh... we also use SagePay. We don't upload the cart contents, so as long as the VAT is charged, then SAgePay charges appropriately.

We've been using a combination of Tradebox/Sage Accounting to import the orders, but that sysyetm is frought with problems, so we've switched back to manually entering the order into our accounting system. It's terrible, but we're optimistic about the new version of Tradebox (to be released in a month or so). That SHOULD solve some of our problems.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

@MarkinLondon: could you give me a little bit more info about how you handle shopify and sagepay please:

What do you mean when you say you don't upload the cart contents? And where does the decision get made as to what VAT to add to the base price of your goods?

For clarity, are you a B2B or B2C site?

Thanks again

Graeme

0 Likes