VAT Number

Shopify Partner
1 0 0

@graemeaustin the code isn't accessible via your site, I don't suppose you still have a copy? I'd be interested to have a look into it as I have a client at the moment who has this issue.

Has anyone come across this issue recently?

Ben Hubbard Shopify Expert
0 Likes
2 0 0

I´m struggling with the same issue. Most of the customer do not type in the correct VAT ID, it is just something like "xxxx" etc. I´ve changed the lastname field to VAT ID field, but that's not really a solution for this problem. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 3

I want to implement same thing in Shopify. ask for VAT verification then send it to third party api and if the VAT number is verified then exempt VAT to customer on checkout. I have implemented logic on cart page to call third party api and send vat verification response back to cart page.

But now I am stuck on how to show updated price (with or without vat) on checkout page.

Please provide suggestions on this.

3 Likes
1 0 1

hi everyone

we are just about to launch a shop in switzerland and have the same problem. we want to deduct VAT for international customers. has shopify come up with a solution for that issue? or has there an app been built in the meantime?

eager to hear!

1 Like
Tourist
10 0 3

Any update on this? This really is a catch 22 situation for European shops.

Based in Denmark, we need to be able to distinguish between a B2C and a B2B sale, and adjust the taxes accordingly. Add to that, the need to differentiate taxes based on customer location (already supported).

I can add a cart property to get the customer's VAT number but how would I go about adjusting the tax amount accordingly?

This is really, really frustrating...

Professional LinkedIn profile makeovers - www.makeoverservices.com
3 Likes
1 0 0

I'm also very very interested in a solution. Just discovered this major issue. 

Please let me know how to let my customers to enter the VAT no

Thanks

Jan

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
7 0 1

Would also be interested in a solution for this.

Has anyone come up with a hacked solution yet, for B2B and B2C websites?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
10 0 8

Hi guys,

many of you experience the same problem with EU VAT handling. Since Shopify still not has a proper solution for this, I decided to set up a petiotion. Maybe we can convince Shopify together. Let's unite!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/shopify-eu-vat-exemption

#ShopifyVATexemption

1 Like
Shopify Partner
52 0 27

Hi guys,

We have finally created a solution that is able to capture and validate VAT registration numbers from business customers and automatically mark them as VAT exempt so they are not charged VAT during the checkout.

We have also written a short guide explaining when Shopify stores should charge VAT when selling to different EU customers.

This feature is available in Sufio, our invoicing app for Shopify stores.

Would love to hear your feedback. If you need any help or have any questions just let me know.

-Katy from Sufio

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
10 0 1

Hi guys,

not sure if you are still looking for a solution, but we recently launched an app excactly for this purpose. The name is Exemptify, you can find it on the Shopify App Store.

Exemptify adds a EU VAT Id field to the customer account section of your shop and verifies VAT Ids through the official EU Webservice VIES.

Exemptify validates the VAT Ids of your customers, stores them if they are valid and then tax-exempts the customers. The VAT Id is added as an order note to each order placed through accounts with valid Ids.

Optionally the app also fixes the price display in your store front to show the price incl. VAT (which is a legal requirement in the EU).

Hope that helps. Please message me if you have any questions.

Cheers
Thorsten

0 Likes