VAT on orders from the U.S. to the UK

zendragon
2 0 0

Hey, 

I just made a couple of sales to the UK and due to Covid, we have been busy with other things, and had not realized that the new laws had gone into effect when we did a sales drop this month. 

Frankly, I'm not interested in registering or keeping track of VAT charges, so I'm discontinuing sales to the UK, but these 2 orders total $600 and I'm trying to figure out the least horrific way to deal with this.

Can anyone tell me how much of a problem it is for the consumer to handle the VAT charge on their end? Is it unreasonable to ask them to do this?

Thanks

0 Likes
BiancaBlake
Excursionist
34 0 15

Hi ZenDragon,

Note that if each individual sale to private persons are for less than GBP 135.00 (about $180.00 in today's rate), then your company is required to register for VAT in the UK, and charge 20% UK VAT when you sell. However, this is not required for individual orders for more than GBP 135.00. On these orders, the customer can still act as the importer to the UK, and pay the import duty and VAT to the freight forwarder/mail office. It sounds like your orders were above $180 USD.

We have a free zoom webinar about this on March 10. You should join us! Here is the invite:

Please join us for a complimentary Zoom webinar:

Value Added Tax When Selling Products Online to Europe

Wednesday, March 10 at 11:00am PST / 2:00pm EST 

This webinar is designed for U.S. and Canadian companies

selling products to the EU and/or the UK

either on their own website or

through Amazon, Ebay, Shopify, and other sites.

Euro VAT Refund's CEO, Britta Eriksson

provides breaking news regarding January 2021 UK rules

and expert insights on how to prepare for

the new EU laws for ecommerce starting July 2021

During this webinar you will learn:

• Your VAT liabilities when selling goods online
  • Handling sales and shipments to EU and UK customers

• How to choose countries for VAT registration

• How it affects North American sellers now

To register and receive your zoom log-in link please email:

vat eurovat com

Euro VAT Refund, Inc. · 5161 Overland Avenue · Culver City, CA 90230 · Phone: 310 204 0805

0 Likes
zendragon
2 0 0

Thanks for the reply, Bianca,

I won't be attending your webinar. We're halting all sales to the UK. I'm not keeping track of yet another fee to another country.

0 Likes