Variations and Collections

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hello everyone!  I'm a newcomer to the forum and to shopify.  I have one of those "dumb" questions that newbies ask.

While reading the shopify help topics, I came upon this statement:

"Note
You can't add product variants to a collection." 

It's at this location:  https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/collections/manual-shopify-collection

When I first read it I assumed it meant that you can't put products that have variants into a collection, which would be a drastic limitation.  After testing that assumption and finding that on the surface, anyway, I could add products with variants to a collection, I thought I'd better find out that although it appears you can do so, perhaps down the road some gotcha will screw up the works.

I'm thinking that what the statement actually means is that collections themselves can't have variations.

Is there an expert out there who can confirm that my original assumption was false, and there will be no problems further down the road by grouping products with variants into collections?

Thanks a bunch,

Steve

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
551 67 89

This is an accepted solution.

@Northern ,

Welcome to the community, to the best of my knowledge your original assumption or interpretation was false.

What it actually means that collection contains products and products that have variants, so you can't simply put specific variants of product A and a specific variant of product B in a collection. What it can however do is that you can put both product A and product B in the collection and then iterate over it to find specific variant by checking its tags or other properties

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Thanks so much, Propero, for the very fast reply!

I can sleep easy now.

Steve

1 Like