Verifying my account with ID or SSN at 17?

Solved
rexx
5 0 0

im 17, i have my own debit card and is very excited ti start my own business, but i only have 1 issue and that is submitting a SSN or ID, i would ask my parents but they wont because they're old and dont know about shopify, even when i explain it. What else can i do? i really want to start this up but my parents are scared to use their SSN/ID on a site they dont know.

0 Likes
Trevor
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2550 329 518

Hey, @rexx!.

I can fully appreciate your parent's concern as ensuring that sensitive information is secure is the number one priority. Shopify Payments is secure and PCI compliant. Any information submitted to us is used for the verification process, but not kept on file to ensure the safety of the documents provided to us.

An SSN or EIN would be required to use Shopify Payments as there is not a way to bypass this requirement. In addition to this, You must be the older of: (i) 18 years, or (ii) at least the age of majority in the jurisdiction where you reside and from which you use the Services to open an Account. If you do not meet this requirement, then it would require having one of your parents listed as the Account Owner until you come of age. 

You may need to consider speaking with an alternative payment provider available for your region as they may not require an SSN to accept payments. When using a third-party payment provider, and not Shopify payments, you will incur transaction fees instead of credit card fees. Transaction fees are charged per order, but collected alongside your monthly subscription. 

In addition to this, we support payment for the monthly subscription via a valid credit card, or via Paypal (in select countries). Debit cards are not supported. If you're based in a country that is unable to use Paypal (i.e., United States), then it would require a valid credit card. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
TheCountingClub
Tourist
5 0 1

How can I switch the listed account owner from myself over to my parents I'm also 17 didn't know this rule on signup and made it all in my name, how can I switch it over I've been looking everywhere?

0 Likes
Trevor
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2550 329 518

@TheCountingClub 

You'll want to process an account owner change by following our help document here. You can list one of your parents as the account owner, and add yourself as a staff member so you're able to get help from our support teams. Did you already set up Shopify Payments? If yes, who's SSN did you enter in when setting up the account? If it was your parents then nothing will need to be changed for your Shopify Payments account. 

0 Likes
TheCountingClub
Tourist
5 0 1
unfortunately it was my ssn that I used so i will need change
0 Likes
TheCountingClub
Tourist
5 0 1

So I properly did the transfer, can I keep the current payment options the same so it is through me and my moms joint account? And can you elaborate further on not supporting debit cards.

0 Likes
Trevor
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2550 329 518

@TheCountingClub 

Not a problem! I've shipped you an email to verify the store so I can escalate this up to our Billing team. They'll put a prompt in your admin to upload documents to update the information on file. 

0 Likes
Trevor
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2550 329 518

@TheCountingClub 

Apologies, I didn't see the second reply there. Yes, you can keep the same payment options for your payouts, that shouldn't be a problem. In terms of not supporting debit cards, this would refer to paying the monthly subscription. If you're based in the United States, then you'll want to use a valid credit card issued by a bank with a line of credit which is something your parents will want to supply. Debit cards with credit card capabilities are considered unsupported, and may not work with our billing system. You're welcome to try adding this type of card; however, we can't say it will work, or provide support on adding it if it doesn't work. 

0 Likes
TheCountingClub
Tourist
5 0 1

my store is thecountingclub.com or thecountingclub.myshopify.com in case you didn't see and thank you!

0 Likes
avalizardi
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Peter. I am having the same issue. I am 17 and used my SSN to sign up for my shopify account. I want to launch my website this week but want to make sure all of the account info is in order. I am going to transfer ownership to my mom like you suggested but I need help changing the SSN to my moms. I contacted shopify support and the lady I spoke to was not able to help me right away. Could you help me update this info please? 

0 Likes