Virus Spam Pop up - Scaring our Customers Away!

2 0 0

Anyone else getting virus/spam pop ups on their website? Spent 2 hours with Shopify support this morning and they couldn’t figure it out. They made us update our theme and suggested that would fix the issue only to find out later that evening after clearing the cache on my mobile phone (only happens on mobile and tablet) that the problem is still going on.

We haven’t downloaded any new apps or made any changes to the website in months so it’s not something we did recently.

I’m beginning to suspect Shopify’s Server might be infected with adware/malware.  Shopify admins feel free to chime in.  

Our website is: www.vivideditions.com

Here is the screenshot:

5393C6B9-DE0C-49EF-B5D8-17D20DE2F5F8.png

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
175 17 20

Hey there, @VividEditions!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! I'm sorry to hear about this virus pop up you're seeing on your page, but I'd be happy to see what I can suggest.

It looks like there is injected scripts in your theme that are causing this spam pop-up/redirect. This could be due to a malicious app installed onto your store. I've gone ahead and sent you an email to the email address associated with your Community Forums account. If you use the same email address for your Shopify store, you can please respond to it so that we can verify your account and access your theme to determine which app this is coming from. If you use a different email address for your Shopify store, you can simply CC the correct email address and respond in kind. After having you remove the appropriate app, I'll escalate your ticket over to our Technical Support Team to disable the injected scripts. 

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers.

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hey Ryder,

Thanks so much for your quick response. I’ve just replied to your email. 

Thank you!

@Ryder wrote:

Hey there, @VividEditions!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Thanks for posting! I'm sorry to hear about this virus pop up you're seeing on your page, but I'd be happy to see what I can suggest.

It looks like there is injected scripts in your theme that are causing this spam pop-up/redirect. This could be due to a malicious app installed onto your store. I've gone ahead and sent you an email to the email address associated with your Community Forums account. If you use the same email address for your Shopify store, you can please respond to it so that we can verify your account and access your theme to determine which app this is coming from. If you use a different email address for your Shopify store, you can simply CC the correct email address and respond in kind. After having you remove the appropriate app, I'll escalate your ticket over to our Technical Support Team to disable the injected scripts. 

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers.

0 Likes
2 0 1

Several customers have told me they are getting virus warnings on my site.  Someone from Shopify, please help!

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Hey @Ryder
We are having the same issue with our website (signify-sabbath-day-woods.myshopify.com). We have tried a bunch of things but are still having the spam popups. Please help. thank you. 

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Shopify was able to figure out our issue today and get it fixed. The redirect was caused by some code left over from when we had tried Customify (https://apps.shopify.com/customify). We had previously installed it but never used it. This issue took several contacts with Shopify customer support before it was finally resolved.

Yet, one simple feature would have solved this well before it became an issue. I am begging for a feature that would offer to revert any code that was changed in connection to an app when it is uninstalled.

Shopify... please

0 Likes
2 0 1

Hello Ryder,

I also have just started receiving this message when customers try to access my website. Could you please advise what steps I should take? My website www.greigeshop.com

Thanks so much!

0 Likes
2 0 1

Scan your computer for virus and malware and investigate any browser plugins.  I had an Instagram Chrome plugin that was injecting code into product and collection descriptions.  Switch on html view for your product and collection descriptions to see if there is any strange code.

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 1

We had the same problem that you are having. Ours was caused by left over code from the Customify app that we tried out and had uninstalled. The way that we got it fixed was to bug customer service until we found the right person to escalate our case, find the code, and remove it. Keep trying the customer service chat until they fix it.

1 Like
2 0 1

Thank you!

1 Like