Is Shopify's payment service causing chargeback issues?

sparky337
Excursionist
60 0 7

I can NOT stress enough how important is it for fellow Shopify owners NOT to use Shopify Payout service.

I woke up today with 3 chargebacks , On my website I do sell Digital Downloads and I guess a guy figured he would try his best to get the item for free .. not once but 3 times.

Shopify charged me $15.00 chargeback fee on 3 times = $45.00 , and the order was fulfilled. Also it takes up to 75 days to resolve this .

If you use PayPal , you call them and this is resolved in the sellers favor within 5 minutes.

I recently some another item on my store months ago , Took 75 days to clear up ... Tracking not only shows DELIVERED , but it was SIGNED FOR ... I did nothing wrong , The customers back found them in favor , and shopify still hit me with the $15.00 fee , again this item was delivered and signed for .  If it was PayPal , this again would have been cleared up in 5 min , once delivered , case closed .

Normally I mind my own business and keep quiet on things , but this has gotten WAY out of hand. 

KEEP YOUR MONEY , DISABLE SHOPIFY PAYMENT PROCESSOR............ I leaned the hard way.

Replies 17 (17)

sparky337
Excursionist
60 0 7

Going to keep bumping this post as I truly feel it's important for this to be known.

GalaxyRed
Excursionist
48 0 7

What other payment providers do you recommend if you found any?

sparky337
Excursionist
60 0 7

PayPal is the only one who will truly have your back .

sparky337
Excursionist
60 0 7

Going to keep bumping this post as I truly feel it's important for this to be known.

sparky337
Excursionist
60 0 7

sparky337
Excursionist
60 0 7

LordSloth
Excursionist
13 0 6

In most cases, it someone that is using a stolen credit card.  Are you absolutely sure that the customer is who you say it is, and they are committing what is referred to in the industry as "friendly fraud".

Kind of a oxymoron, as when is fraud ever friendly.

If you are 100% sure that the customer is not a victim of fraud, and they purposely rip you off, you still have recourse via collection agencies that go after these criminals.

You will probably never get your money, but you will have the satisfaction, that the customer credit will be destroyed if it hasn't already is.

For me it's not worth the effort, it's just the cost of doing business.  However I realize that some people feel the need to make sure that these people need to receive their Karma sooner rather than latter.

Good Luck.

sparky337
Excursionist
60 0 7

I ship my items world wide and in most cases they are well over $200.00 per item . The last case I lost was signed for and I even have a text from the customer saying he got the item and will even send pictures once installed. His CC company sided with him somehow and again it was signed for. Since it was sold to a client in Colorado it;s out of state so I can't do small claims court .

Regardless , I should NOT have to pay these shopify fee's .. especially when I provided valid tracking numbers and all proof that I did everything correctly on my end.

I would not come here and type all of this out if I was in the wrong , in each case I was in the right . I have been in this for 10 years now and I do know what I am doing. 

PayPal does not charge any fee's , and with the digital downloads its automatically declined to do a chargeback, it's actually stated in PayPal policy . 

Shopify now hit me with 3 digital download chargebacks and 1 fee per item. 

I don't consider losing hundreds and hundreds of $ a cost of business..... If that was the case , why even be in business as there would be zero profit 

LordSloth
Excursionist
13 0 6

Wells Fargo is the actual company that does the charge-back decision.  Shopify Payments (Stripe) is just the messenger, and makes no decisions in the charge back process.

Wait a few days and if you are still upset, send the customer to a collection agency.  If you collect nothing, it doesn't cost you anything, other than time.

sparky337
Excursionist
60 0 7

Oh I'll be upset in a few days , I've been upset for 4 months since the first case.

Thanks for the info , I just submitted all forms to start 4 collections . 

1 down , 10 to go .

sparky337
Excursionist
60 0 7

sparky337
Excursionist
60 0 7

sparky337
Excursionist
60 0 7

I JUST GOT RIPPED OFF AGAIN ...............

This is for a digital download , he got the file , then filed CHARGEBACK .

Chargeback reason: product not received

The customer told their bank that they didn’t receive the product that they ordered.

The bank has returned the money to them and charged you a fee. The total amount will be taken from your next payout.

Chargeback amount$61.13 USD
Chargeback fee$15.00 USD
Total$76.13 USD
Beacon-Jason
Shopify Partner
284 17 61

Hi, did you try to consider looking into fraud prevention apps?

non-tangible products are quite risky without proper knowledge or proper fraud protection tools.

I know these options cost money and decrease your margins, but it allows you to save money in the long run.

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks with Beacon. The most customizable fraud and risk management system built for Shopify businesses

https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
sparky337
Excursionist
60 0 7

This was a payment from 2 months ago , I switched to PayPal , problem solved . 

I just want to make people aware .

sparky337
Excursionist
60 0 7

Just got ripped for another $45.00 today . 

I can NOT stress enough how important is it for fellow Shopify owners NOT to use Shopify Payout service.

I woke up today with 3 chargebacks , On my website I do sell Digital Downloads and I guess a guy figured he would try his best to get the item for free .. not once but 3 times.

Shopify charged me $15.00 chargeback fee on 3 times = $45.00 , and the order was fulfilled. Also it takes up to 75 days to resolve this .

If you use PayPal , you call them and this is resolved in the sellers favor within 5 minutes.

I recently some another item on my store months ago , Took 75 days to clear up ... Tracking not only shows DELIVERED , but it was SIGNED FOR ... I did nothing wrong , The customers back found them in favor , and shopify still hit me with the $15.00 fee , again this item was delivered and signed for .  If it was PayPal , this again would have been cleared up in 5 min , once delivered , case closed .

Normally I mind my own business and keep quiet on things , but this has gotten WAY out of hand. 

KEEP YOUR MONEY , DISABLE SHOPIFY PAYMENT PROCESSOR............ I leaned the hard way.

sparky337
Excursionist
60 0 7

bump