Want to Transfer my domain to something cheaper

Solved
ShellyT
2 0 0

Hi,

I purchased my domain on Shopify in November and have been paying fees since then. However, I don't see a future where people will come to my website and buy stuff as most people just buy from our EBay and Amazon stores.

I do want to have a website but AUD$38 per month is making a dent. I would like to transfer my website domain to something cheaper (still figuring what is that). Can someone please guide me.

Thanks

0 Likes
Mad_Modeler
Explorer
110 1 12

This is an accepted solution.

You can transfer your domain to something cheaper, but you also have to move your website to another host, and that is an added cost.

I treid various other platformd before coming to Shopify, and to be honest, Shopify is cheap when you comapre it to other platforms where support is negligible.

For instance, if you move to say Magento, unless you know Magento code, you will need a developer, I was quoted £2500 from a developer in the UK to set up the site, and £150 a month thereafter for a support package.

I have tried lots of platforms, and beleive me, none of them work the way they say 'out of the box' there are always hidden extras and coding quirks.

When you take the whole bundle into account, Shopify at AUD38 is cheap.

You would be far better spending some money on driving traffic to your website, Facebook, Instagram and Youtube are all free, and you can drive traffic

You also need to promote your site everwhere, in house on literature business cards etc.

I know Amazon and EBay don't allow direct links, but people are not stupid, a simple phrase in your product descriptions like "Check out our Website" will normally get past the algorithms and drive traffic.

I don't use EBay or Amamzon, because my base margins are too tight (25%), EBay now takes 20% of that, so I would check out how much actual profit you are making after all fees are taken into account, the web is littered with profit calculators for Ebay and Amazon.

Hope this helps

Graham

ShellyT
2 0 0

Thanks a lot. That gave me some perspective. So even if I move this to something cheaper, development and management costs will haunt me.

0 Likes
Mad_Modeler
Explorer
110 1 12

Unless you are an expert coder, or know someone who will do mates rates, then yes other platforms can be very expensive.

ALL platforms are expensive if you need to hire a developer, I have been quoted £2kGBP for just some graphics tweaks to my site !

Personally I would persevere with Shopify, but spend a lot of time on free promotion, Facebook, Instagram etc.

Also if you make any changes allow them to take effect, Google works very slowly, check your webmaster page frequently, if you tweak anything don't expect instant results, check to see how many pages are indexed / crawled, if you can prompt Google manually to do a re-index, especially if you have added a lot of products.

SEO is vital, check your product titles and descriptions for keywords, and the snippets contain those keywords.

Also you don't need to pay for SEO advice, use Youtube to find out the latest Google advice on searchstrings and keywords, if you don;t understand anything, then Google it !

Hope all this helps

0 Likes