Want to add items to excisting order

farm2door
Tourist
9 0 4

Client just placed order and wants to add 2 items why do I get this message? I could add in the past items to an order that was paid for.

I can still add products to pick up orders but not anymore to orders that are placed by clients that want it delivered. Thsi is the message that I get:

Orders with local delivery as the shipping method can’t be edited. 

Replies 3 (3)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey, @farm2door. Thanks for reaching out about this! The message you are receiving means exactly that: Orders that have Local Delivery chosen as the shipping method, are not eligible for order editing. Our developers are aware of this limitation, but I have submitted some feedback to them on your behalf to let them know that it would be beneficial to be able to edit Local Delivery orders as well.

In the meantime, you can help your customer with purchasing the additional items by creating a Draft Order for the two products they’d like, and emailing them an invoice so that they can pay for the items. I recommend to also let your customer know that you are creating a separate invoice for the additional items. This way they are aware to look for the invoice, and you can receive payment before delivering the order. 

Do you use the POS app by any chance? Because another way you can allow for customers to purchase additional items to their initial orders when using Local Delivery, is to process the order through the POS on your mobile device. This way you can create and complete the transaction in real time, right when you are making the delivery. 

If you aren’t familiar with the POS, the Lite subscription is included in your regular subscription, and has all of the major functionalities needed to sell in person. In order to begin using it, you’ll need to:

I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any other questions or concerns, just ask! I’m happy to help.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

farm2door
Tourist
9 0 4
Hi helen,

Thank you but using POS is not handy as we have multiple drivers and we
dont deliver or even get an order ready until the order is fully paid. For
a small business thi might work but not for us.also creating a draft order
will let the client pay twice delivery fees as we have seen that happen
when we send them a draft order for an added item and when they are going
to pay the invoice shopify ads the $5 delivery fee on top of it.

It is really strange that I can add items to a pick up order but not to a
local delivery order as it is more needed to orders that are being
delivered as the pick up clients are coming in the store and can just grab
the item and pay at the POS it is all these people that chose delivery and
forget an item and want to add it.
The way around it now is that I let them make another order and chose pick
up and write in the notes that I should add it to their delivery order
since we do more than 100 orders this will get missed plus it is the client
that needs to do the work and I have to explain to them that our system
doesnt allow us to add an item,....I personally think again that it is
strange you can do it to a pick up order (where it is not important at all)
but not do a delivery order!

Simone
Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Thanks for your reply, and for providing the context specific to your business, @farm2door. I completely understand your need for this, so I want to assure you that I did pass your feedback along to our developers. Although I don’t have a timeline for when or even if this is an upgrade that will be implemented, you can keep an eye on recent platform upgrades in the Shopify Changelog. I recommend checking it regularly. 

In the meantime, there is a third party app that you could use to be able to edit your Local Delivery orders: Edit Order by Cleverific. It is a paid app, but it also has a free trial period. So, if you are interested in it, feel free to install it on your store to test it out. If it doesn’t end up being helpful, then please just remember to uninstall it before the free trial is up so that you aren’t charged. For any specific questions about the app, installing it, or how it works, please contact the app developer directly. They’ll be your best resources to get the assistance you need. 

Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.