What I learned connecting Shopify with FBA Multi-Channel Fulfillment

Highlighted
1 0 4

Hey all,

I know this is very frustrating for many sellers, I hope you can avoid accidentally double-shipping 250 orders like we did. 

We connected Shopify with Amazon FBA Multi-Channel Fulfillment and learned some lessons.

There is absolutely no support here from Shopify, Amazon, or the 3rd party apps. It's an unfortunate thing. Here is what we learned in no particular order:

1) If you care about the way your customers receive the product, don't use Amazon MCF. When people order from Amazon, they want the Amazon experience. But when they order from you, getting a product in an Amazon bubble mailer seems cheap and confusing. 

2) Shopify allows you to connect your store with FBA very easily. However, they don't curently do automatic fulfillment, so you will have to manually select fulfill on each one. 

3) We wanted to avoid automatically fulfilling, so we connected ShipStation. As far as I can tell, they are the only 3rd party app that will automatically send your orders to Amazon FBA from Shopify. (Queue a bunch of comments from unrelated and crappy 3rd party apps now claiming otherwise...)

4) Shipstation works pretty well, isn't expensive, and has a 30 day free trail. They will automatically take your orders and fulfill them to Amazon. To have them fulfill automatically, you need to make an automation in ShipStation, but it's simple. Here are the drawbacks:

1. You cannot link inventory to Amazon inventory

2. You must use their email notifications for shipping and delivery, it isn't linkable with Shopify or Mailchimp

3. They will not automatically fulfill orders with multiple products

4. ShipStation will send an automatically generated order ID number, not the Shopify ID number. That makes your Amazon orders extremely difficult to search.

5) CAUTION: Do NOT have Shopify set up to fulfill to Amazon AND have ShipStation running. What happens is that ShipStation sends the orders to Amazon with their long ID number, then tells Shopify it's been fulfilled. Shopify then takes that fulfillment notification as an order to fulfill the item, and will then automatically fulfill your item to Amazon as well. It wasn't until 250 orders had shipped out double that we realized this. We lost 5-10 grand in postage and inventory, not to mention lost sales. We thought we could simply track inventory with Shopify, since they very clearly do not auto-fulfill FBA orders, but this was a grave mistake. Nobody accepted blame for the problem, and I hope this helps other people avoid it.

Hopefully Shopify will create an auto-fulfill option. But after about a month of MCF fulfillment, we are switching to a 3rd party fulfillment option. It's too confusing for customers. Plus, they are far from reliable and often took far longer than expected to deliver the shipments.

I hope this helps a few of you out. 

4 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
52 0 1

>> (Queue a bunch of comments from unrelated ... 3rd party apps...

Ha ha! Yes, you did trigger an emotional response in me when you said "they are the only 3rd party app that will automatically send your orders to Amazon FBA from Shopify". But then I saw the next line and laughed out loud. Anyway, let me get to the point.

Our app Ordoro has had this Shopify Amazon FBA link feature for many years now. And many of our Shopify customers use that feature to link their Amazon FBA to their Shopify store. Here are some details about our Amazon FBA integration. And some details about our Shopify integration.

Now, to be very clear up front, I'm cautious about the problems you mentioned with your current setup. Shipstation is a direct competitor of Ordoro, but I'm happy to admit they do a pretty good job with most of their features. Maybe there are specific details in your workflow that's breaking your setup, so I'm not sure. Here is my initial take from your list. Ordoro will do 1, 3 pretty well. We also do 2 well based on how you described it. With 4, we do that too well based on how I understand it. But it all depends. I'm just being cautious because your problems seem very specific and I am not going to blindly tell you "yes we do all of that" without learning more details. If you would like to take a deeper look at how Ordoro can help you with this, please email us or call us.

Anyway, I hope that was a better reply than what you expected to hear from a 3rd party app :)

http://apps.shopify.com/ordoro- Automated Dropshipping, Easy Shipping Labels (USPS, Fedex, UPS) and Powerful Inventory Management for Shopify stores
1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 3

Re: Ordoro

Connecting shopify to FBA is different than multi channel fulfilment by Amazon so you may need to clarify this.
I have seen lots of videos and programs that allow you to list products on your shopify that then get purchased directly through item listing you have on Amazon. That is NOT multi channel fulfilment. I sell clothing for example, so every item that I sell on Amazon and fulfil FBA I pay that 17% fee to Amazon for PLUS the fee for FBA. Most of the widgets and aps offer a way to connect my shopify listings to my Amazon store so I would STILL pay that 17% amazon fee on EVERY sale I make on shopify because the widget is then routing the purchase through my Amazon listing. 
Multi channel fulfilment allows me to have FBA inventory in an Amazon warehouse and available on Prime, but when I get an order through say Shopify and have amazon's Multi chanel fulfilment fill the order, they pull product FROM my FBA inventory and ship it for me for a small, $6ish fee WITHOUT also charging me the 17% referral fee since I didn't make the sale through Amazon's platform. 

So, which is it you're offering through Ordoro?

3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
107 0 13

Another comment from "unrelated ... 3rd party apps..."

This is pretty much my specialty. I used to be an Amazon seller and wanted to expand to sell my Amazon products on Shopify. I knew Shopify's built-in integration couldn't do everything I needed, so I developed my own app. It's called FBA Shipping and it sends multi-channel fulfillment orders from Shopify to Amazon automatically. As long as your products are in stock and your SKUs match, it works seamlessly.

The app pulls in dynamic shipping rates from Amazon based on the customer's address, so you don't have to guess how much to charge on shipping. It also automatically sends tracking info and order updates to your customers using data from Amazon entered into your Shopify template emails. So the customer doesn't even know they've ordered from Amazon until they get the package in the mail.

This is a fairly complex process in Shopify, so let me know if you have questions. I've basically lived and breathed Amazon/Shopify for about 3 years now!

ByteStand - Amazon to Shopify in one click
2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hello, am new here and say hello to everybody in the community!

Many thanks for your helpful comments here, was very glad to find them.

What I wonder: If I do it with the above mentioned plugin (FBA Shipping by ByteStand), and a customer orders one of my (physical) products, is there a possibility to get Amazon Multi-Channel-Fulfillment send the delivery with my own wrapping, namely my logo and company name?

[ I rather mean, that my logo and company name is on the parcel, but in case it is handled as a return (for some reason, may be customer doesn't find what he expected and wants to return the item ...), he can / must send it back to the fulfilment centre (in my case Germany). ]

Secondly: Is there a tutorial or how-to for this: Shopify -> FBA Shipping by ByteStand -> Amazon Multi-Channel-Fulfillment

... Something to get a clear view, before making the decision to actually start with the above combination?

Many thanks!

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

If I use "Multi channel fulfilment" will Amazon logos and packing reveal that this product was send from Amazon Warehouse? If that is the case, isn't wired for customer to see they order somewhere and Amazon sent them something?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello @mehdiem,

I understand your concern, but there is an option on the Amazon Seller account from where you can set your own logo instead of using the Amazon logo.

Kindly check the following steps to update your own logo are:

Step 1: In your seller account, under Settings, click Fulfilment by Amazon.
Step 2: Locate Multi-Channel Fulfilment Settings and click on Edit.
Step 3: In the Packing Slip – Merchant Name text box, type your business name (40-character limit). By default, the display text is your Amazon account name.
Step 4: In the Pack Slip – Text text box, type any additional information that you want (250-character limit). By default, the display text is blank.
Click on Update.

Thanks

Business Analyst
Migration, Importer & Marketplace Integration Expert
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello guys I fulfill orders through Amazon and my Shopify inventory is synced with Amazon, 

My question is: 

Is there anyway I can show products as out of stock on Shopify while I still have some stock available in Amazon?

Like for example if I can say that any products with less than 50 units available on Amazon Warehouse should appear as out of stock on Shopify.

Please note that I am integrating Shopify with Amazon for Inventory tracking 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello FLask!
Yes, it is possible, but it depends on which tool you are using to integrate Shopify stock with amazon. There is a concept of the Threshold inventory limit, which will work exactly as you want.
For example: If you set any number in that threshold inventory limit, then your stock will get 0 once it reached that inventory level.

Let me know if still any confusion.

Thanks

Business Analyst
Migration, Importer & Marketplace Integration Expert
0 Likes