What Is The Correct Way To Filter Products By Size And Color? Is The Best Way To Use A Collection?

Highlighted
3 0 2

Hello Everyone!

I am new to Shopify and I am trying to wade through the large volume of information to figure out how to accomplish some filtering. Here is my issue and the possible solutions I came up with, along with the question I have. 

I would like to be able to set up products using something that gives me a key /value pair. For example, I would like to create a Color:Blue, Color:Black, Color:Red, Color:White system and then allow users to filter on Color. I am not sure what the proper mechanism to create such a thing in Shopify is.

I have been going over the documentation and I have figured out a few things. I have examined Product Tags, but they seem to only allow the addition of a value to a product: Blue, Black, Red, White, etc. I do not clearly see a way to specify that the Blue, Black, Red and White tags are, in fact, Colors. I have the same issue with size. I want to allow users to filter by size: Size: S, Size: M, Size: L, Size: XL, Size XXL. However, there does not seem to be a mechanism in place to facilitate that. 

I have read the documentation and the only thing I can come up with is to use a Collection: create a Color collection for EVERY color and then add products to it. For example, a Red collection and then add all of the red products to that collection, or a White collection and add all of the white products to that. I wanted to know the proper way to do this before I did it the way I have figured out.

Is using a Collection for each color appropriate or the best way?

Is there some other mechanism I should use to be able to set filtering up correctly?

I know that people sometimes look at these newbie questions and ignore them because they seem so basic. I saw one question here that was similar to mine from 2018 and no one responded. Hopefully, someone will read this and have mercy on me! I'm really trying to come up with the best solution for my issue and I want to be sure I am on the correct path and not missing some basic feature that already does this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 2

I have answered my own question. I am leaving the answer here in case someone else needs it.

I discovered that the solution appears to be theme based. 

Some themes use the variants in a product to set up the filtering for the colors.

So if you have 2 variants, black and blue, then that product will have two colors available for filtering.

I will update this as I discover additional methods.                                                                                                         

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello,

I am struggling with the same issue. Did you find out the ideal solution to size and color filtering? Or which "free" theme allows size and color filtering?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

What theme did you use? The only free one I found that allows filters is “supply” I believe was the name and I can see the filter button but for some reason I can’t figure out how to control it. Right now it’s just a button that doesn’t do anything at all when you click it. My goal is for my customers to shop by size. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi

Did you find the solution? If you did plz let me know thanks

0 Likes